We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lucca to Cinque Terre?

Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Lucca to Cinque Terre?

Hi:

We will be in Lucca from Aug 3 to Aug 7 with 3 teenage children, one of whom is a university student participating in an opera intensive program. Considering a day trip to Cinque Terre, in between our son's performance days. Is it best to rent a car or take a train, or is this a crazy thought for a day trip from Lucca to Cinque Terre at this very hot and busy time of year? Would we easily be able to rent a car in Lucca if we wanted to? I see there is a national park in that area....is it a good place to visit and hike in? Or perhaps better to visit a particular town of that area instead of a hiking area? Thanks for advice!

Debbie

United States
Level Contributor
9,718 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Lucca to Cinque Terre?

It would be best to take the train since parking is at a premium in the small villages. You can rent a car in Lucca if you wanted to do a day trip somewhere else. Avis and Hertz both have outlets and there is a local company also.

It would be a very long day but not impossible. It will be crowded and busy. You would have to decide if it's worth it. The whole area is a national park with many hiking trails. The most famous one goes along the cliffs and that is the most crowded.

You might want to look at the park website to get a better idea of the area.

www.parconazionale5terre.it/?id_lingue=2

There is a ferry service that runs down the coast from village to village (except Corniglia) that is a wonderful way to see the villages from a different angle.

TAB

Edited: 04 July 2012, 21:11
Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Lucca to Cinque Terre?

Thank you very much for such a prompt reply. This is very helpful information to us all!

Debbie

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
30 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Lucca to Cinque Terre?

We were in Lucca for 2 weeks in June with 3 of our teenagers and used the train for a day trip to Cinque Terre. We got off in Riomaggiore and walked the trail to Manarola. Then caught the train to Monterosso, had lunch and stopped in Vernazza and Corniglia on our way back. It was a great overview for us and not a problem doing a day trip. We got a train around 7 a.m. and were back by 4:30.

Canada
Level Contributor
73 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Lucca to Cinque Terre?

Wow! That sounds perfect, and just what our family would do! We are travelling with two of our teenagers (we have 4 kids), and another of our children is participating in an opera program that brings him to Lucca to perform

So we are hoping to be able to snatch him up and perhaps to what you have done. Wondering how long the trail is to Manarola? And overall the distance you walked on this particular trip?

Wow, I really appreciate your reply, and love the sound of your day trip! Take care,

D

Groton Long Point...
Level Contributor
1 post
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Lucca to Cinque Terre?

I agree that the train would be your best bet. Driving to Cinque Terre is rather treacherous and parking in the villages is difficult. I just returned from Italy and had considered taking the train to Portovenere and then a ferry to Cinque Terre (having already been to Cinque Terre, we skipped it but it sounded lovely). The trains run often in Cinque Terre, so if you don't have time to undertake a long hike you can still visit a few of the villages.

If you haven't already, you might want to check which trails are open after the floods last fall. Some were still being repaired in the spring. Rick Steves has been closely following recovery efforts there, so you can check out his website for more info.

Good luck and enjoy!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
30 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Lucca to Cinque Terre?

D, We have 4 kid too, but left one home on this trip! The hike(really more of a walk), is only 20 minutes. It was very easy and right along the coast, so very picturesque. We had purcased the park passes in Riomaggiore, but they were selling them right at the entrance too. Purchase the pass that includes unlimited train use between all of the towns. When we got to Monterosso, we left the kids on the beach for about an hour and my husband and I hiked up the trail towards Vernazza for a couple of miles and then turned back. We also climbed up an area with 100s of stairs to an old graveyard and a couple of churches. That was really cool. Monterosso has the most to do and was our favorite of the 5. My husband and I would definitely like to go back and do the whole trail sommetime. Enjoy! We loved Lucca too. We were there 2 weeks and could have spent another month! Great place and a perfect spot for getting to other areas.

Hoschton, Georgia
3 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Lucca to Cinque Terre?

I am thinking of renting a car to go from Milan Malpensa airpot to Lucca and then onto Lake Como after a stay in Lucca. Does anyone have experience of renting from Rhinocarhire.com

california
Level Contributor
98 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Lucca to Cinque Terre?

Where did you stay in Lucca for the two weeks?

Thanks!

Auckland, New...
Level Contributor
130 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Lucca to Cinque Terre?

hi there

Day trip to Cinque Terre from Lucca is easy, granted that it will be busy, like you said BUT BUT BUT bear in mind that many Italians go on their holidays in August so its often as bad as you think it will be.

I ahve stayed here and he has an apartment next door that would fit 2-4 as well..........can't speak highly enough about him..

http://www.tripadvisor.com/​VacationRentalReview-g187898-d1​923227-Santacroce_apartment-Lu​cca_Province_of_Lucca_Tuscany.​html

http://​www.holidaylettings.co.uk/​rentals/lucca/134732

I have a few other accomodation listings and general good things about Lucca on my blog

ilovelucca.co.nz/bits-bobs/eat-drinksleep/

Hope you enjoy it!! Lucca is stunning and magical :)

Oops may be a bit late now :)

california
Level Contributor
98 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Lucca to Cinque Terre?

Where did you stay in Lucca for the two weeks?

Thanks!

Get answers to your questions about Lucca