We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

bed bugs at hotel armonia, florence, italy

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
Save Topic
bed bugs at hotel armonia, florence, italy

I've booked 3 nights nonrefundable at hotel Armonia in Florence Italy, and just come across some customer reviews from last year raving about bed bugs. Has anyone stayed there recently and had a problem? Ta

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,012 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: bed bugs at hotel armonia, florence, italy

Bedbugs are repelled by DEET. There are DEET insect repellants that last 8-12 hours now and I found that they worked. My daughter's buidling in Chicago had problems with them. They like certain people with warm skin better than others.

When you go home do not put your luggage on your bed to unpack. Wash everything. Anything whihc cannot be washed you can keep in your luggage and spray it and put it outside in the sun inside a garbage bag for 10 days if possible.

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: bed bugs at hotel armonia, florence, italy

Ok thanks for the advice on DEET....will get some. My husband is a very warmed skinned person especially when he sleeps. So I was hopping to avoid the problem.

Florence
Level Contributor
1,144 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: bed bugs at hotel armonia, florence, italy

It is not unknown for people to get bitten by the ferocious mosquitoes in Florence and think they've been attacked by bed bugs.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: bed bugs at hotel armonia, florence, italy

I've never heard of bedbugs in Italy. It could also be a competitor of the hotel spreading slander. Did you see the reviews on a site that allows only verified guests to post reviews? (Venere.com, booking.com, hotels.com, or expedia.com, for example.) Tripadvisor allows anyone to post a review, and it's not unheard of that either the raving good reviews or the raving negative reviews are plants.

Sydney, Australia
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: bed bugs at hotel armonia, florence, italy

I got the reviews from hostelbookers.com, thats why it made me question it. It could be just mosquito's.... all accounts are in June and July - summer! Thanks for all the advice.....I was getting a little freaked out by the whole bed bug thing since i hadn't come across any other hotel reviews mentioning them. So guess I'll just hope for the best.....

St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
20,012 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: bed bugs at hotel armonia, florence, italy

Having been bitten by both mosquitoes often and also by bedbugs, I can say that it is possible to determine the difference. Bed bug bites have a creepy feeling inside them like Wasp bites that starts about 8-12 hours after being bitten. There is often a 8-12 hour delay between being bitten and the creepy feeling and the itchy feeling starting. The bites often occur in a line of 3.

Mosquito bites start to itch right away and occur singly or in a random pattern.

County Dublin...
Level Contributor
24,244 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: bed bugs at hotel armonia, florence, italy

Maybe like I you just have blue blood.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence
Level Contributor
7,416 posts
441 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: bed bugs at hotel armonia, florence, italy

Here is some info about bed bugs http://www.bed-bug.org/history-of-bed-bugs/ and I am pretty sure that bed bugs are equal opportunity in Italy as much as in any other country. If the hotel is by the river, then the issue is more likely than not mosquitoes. We had a mosquitoe problem in Florence while staying at a very nice property by the river.

Notwithstanding, let this be a good lesson not to book accommodations with such harsh terms.

Le Marche, Italy
Destination Expert
for Rome, Marche
Level Contributor
37,409 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: bed bugs at hotel armonia, florence, italy

Bed bugs were quite common in the US in the 19th century, but had almost totally disappeared by the mid 20th century. Now they've returned. No one is exactly sure why. I'm sure they don't care what flag they live under, but I'm just pointing out that I've lived in Italy for 14 years and never heard anything about a bed bug. On the other hand, they're making big news in the US. I assumed that they had disappeared, or are very rare, here, although that doesn't mean they won't return.

New York City, New...
1 post
Save Reply
10. Re: bed bugs at hotel armonia, florence, italy

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1/191-3972103-3145415?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=bedbug+911

BedBug911 makes the best eco friendly/ non chemical spray out there. I recommend it highly. Happy and safe traveling.