We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Possible 2 day itinerary between Florence & Rome??

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Possible 2 day itinerary between Florence & Rome??

The more I read, the more places I want to go to, but I've run out of time and now only have 2 days left for this part (3 at the absolute most, but that reduces my time in Rome by 1 day, and I only had 3.5 days to start with, which I know isn't enough).

I'll already have seen Florence, Lucca, Pisa & Forte Dei Marmi, but what can I reasonably manage to see in my remaining time and what's the best way/ route to do it without having to do a lot of backtracking?

I know I won't be able to fit all of these in anymore, but I had initially thought about visiting Siena, San Giminiano, Arezzo, Cortona, Assisi, Perugia, Pienza & Val D'Orcia, Montepulcano, Orvieto, and anywhere else worth visiting in Chianti region .....(I did say, the more I read, the more I wanted to go to!!).

Given my time constraints, any suggestions as to what I should still include, what I should leave for another trip and a possible routing and base? (realise I need to hire a car). I really just want to enjoy the beautiful scenery of the Tuscan countryside. I know all the places I mentioned are different, but maybe there are some that are more similar to each other?

I had thought I would hire in Florence and leave it in Orvietto and get the train to Rome (no way I'm driving there!) but now that I'm not likely to get that far, need to re-think where best to hire car from, where to leave it and how to get to Rome?

Any help would be most welcome, as I'm just not sure what's best to do to try and make the most of such a short time frame?

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
2,954 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Possible 2 day itinerary between Florence & Rome??

The driving distances between the places you mention are quite long. You ccan look them up on googlemaps.com. You can group Cortona, Assisi and Perugia together. Or you could take Montepulciano, Montalcino and Pienza together.

From Chianti you can do daytrips to San Gimignano and Sienna.

I think you need to make a decision which "group" you would most enjoy visiting and then book a hotel in one of these places.

Yes you would need to rent a car because public transport is not really convenient for tourist in Tuscany. You can rent a car in Florence and leave it in Rome (see if they have an office on the outskirts of the city) or in a city between the place you are staying and Rome with good trainconnections to Rome.

Edinburgh
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Possible 2 day itinerary between Florence & Rome??

Thanks so much. Now I know it completely depends on personal preference, so this may be a silly question to ask, but which 'group' would you say is the prettiest, offers the best scenery, in both the towns an inbetween them?

I'm happy not to have so much of the history, art, architecture, as I'll have seen Florence and I'm heading to Rome and Venice, so probably looking for something a little more typically Tuscan, if there is such a thing, given that the scenery changes throughout?!?. Thought I'd ask, as I'm sure someone will have an opinion on the best group for 2 days?

Many thanks again.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,611 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Possible 2 day itinerary between Florence & Rome??

The most beautiful scenery is widely thought to be that of the Val d'Orcia. You could pick up a hire car at Florence airport and drive down though Chianti on the SR222 (which is very scenic) and stop off at a couple of the Chianti towns (you will go past Greve, Panzano and Castellina on this route) then spend the rest of the time exploring the Val d'Orcia towns such as Montalcino, Pienza, San Quirico and Montepulciano (there are many other lovely villages in the area, but these are the most well known). You could then drop the car at Chiusi and train on to Rome. Or if you don't fancy the drive you could train to Chiusi and pick up and drop off a car there, just make sure you choose one whose offices are right by the train station.

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
2,954 posts
107 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Possible 2 day itinerary between Florence & Rome??

We just got back this Saturday from 2 weeks in Tuscany doing these 3 "groups'. LOL. We liked them all. We used Montepulciano, Cortona and Greve-in-Chianti as our bases. I think the area around Montepulciano is the pretiest and Montepulciano is a really lovely village to spend a few days/evenings and has plenty of winebars and restaurants.

5. Re: Possible 2 day itinerary between Florence & Rome??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10 July 2013, 02:45