We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Villa Calloria, Scandicci, Italy

Columbus, Ohio
12 posts
Save Topic
Villa Calloria, Scandicci, Italy

Our vacation club has a property in Scandicci that we will stay at in January. Has anyone been there? It is called Villa Calloria and is on Via di Vingone.

Pittsburgh...
Level Contributor
7 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Villa Calloria, Scandicci, Italy

I am planning a trip in March, 2011. I would be interested in your opinion of the place. Thanx!

Columbus, Ohio
12 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Villa Calloria, Scandicci, Italy

We just returned. The location was beautiful. We used a car to get around. I am told there is a bus you can take to get into Florence which is about 25 minutes away by car. It is hard/expensive to park in Florence. You should get a good map or a GPS if you can get a car because the street signs are confusing and it is easy to get lost. The directions we received from our vacation club to get to Villa Calloria were not good and we got there at night making it especially hard to find the property. Keep this in mind if you are arriving at night. If you are an experienced European traveler, the location is a very nice spot. If you are expecting American hotel standards, you will probably be disappointed. Our unit was spacious and had a kitchen, fridge and a washer for clothing. No dryer. You will need an electrical current adapter for Italy to use any US appliances. The owner was somewhat helpful, but his English was limited. We could not get service on our mobile phones and the property owner gave us a mobile phone to use for which we could buy minutes at the local stores. Be sure to turn your heat off when yo leave the unit as heating is expensive in Italy and this cost is passed on to the tenant. There are a number of very nice restaurants nearby, but you will need a car to get to them. If you desire to explore the Tuscan countryside, it is a good jumping off location.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Villa Calloria, Scandicci, Italy

Who did you rent your vehicle with in Italy? I have heard some nightmare stories. My husband and i are touring in Tuscany by bike for a week and then renting a villa. We would like to have a car to get us around and get us to a friends place in France.

thank you,

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
France
France
Europe
Columbus, Ohio
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Villa Calloria, Scandicci, Italy

We rented a car through rentalcars.com with Alamo. However, when we arrived at the airport in Florence on New Years Day, there was no Alamo counter. Apparently it is handled by Maggiore, an Italian company. Unfortunately, rentalcars.com did not know that Maggiore/Alamo was closed on New Years Day, so we had no car. We got one for one day from Hertz (that was open) and had to come back to the airport the next day to get our car from Maggiore. For what its worth, the cost was about the same because our rental with Maggiore was for one day less and the savings was about the same as the cost of the car we got from Hertz. FYI: While your automobile insurance may cover your rental automobile in Italy, it is recommended that you get separate insurance on your rental car. We got ours online when we booked with rentalcars.com.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Italy
Italy
Europe
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
32 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Villa Calloria, Scandicci, Italy

thank you very much for the inforamtion

Makanda, Illinois
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Villa Calloria, Scandicci, Italy

What was the sleeping situation like? I am planning to travel there next fall with my husband and parents. We are really looking forward to having separate bedrooms but don't know what the floor plan of each apartment is.

Thank you.

Columbus, Ohio
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Villa Calloria, Scandicci, Italy

Our unit was described by our vacation club as a one bedroom sleeping 5. In fact it was 3 rooms, a kitchen, a bedroom that slept 3 with its own bathroom and a bedroom with its own bath that had a kitchen in it. The unit was called a "porto". The rooms had locking doors between them. I have the impression that the units are not uniform as this is a very old (quaint) building. Our unit was perfect for two couples.

Columbus, Ohio
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Villa Calloria, Scandicci, Italy

Have you returned yet? Hope it was a good trip. Were you able to use the public transportation?

Columbus, Ohio
12 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Villa Calloria, Scandicci, Italy

We had a car and had limited success using the public transportation in Florence. The old city is not serviced by the bus system. It will take you around the suburbs. Parking outside of the old city is expensive and there is little or no parking in the old city. Most of it is reserved for residents.

There was a bus that picked people up at a location away from the villa. Don't know if it picks up nearby. Sorry.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Columbus, Ohio
2 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Villa Calloria, Scandicci, Italy

Are you in Columbus, Ohio? If so, we are planning our April trip and would love to talk.