We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking Piazzale Michelangelo

Enschede...
4 posts
Parking Piazzale Michelangelo

I have read that parking on the Piazzale Michelangelo is free. I will be in Florence for two days in the end of December and am wondering if its a good idea to park the rented car here and go to the hotel by bus. Later when I leave I can pick it up again.

Any advise?

Best Seller
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
7,448 Reviews
from US$ 105.70*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Day Trip with Transport...
804 Reviews
from US$ 105.70*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,425 Reviews
from US$ 105.70*
San Clemente...
Destination Expert
for Buenos Aires, Argentina
Level Contributor
12,816 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Parking Piazzale Michelangelo

You are correct. The parking is free, but there is a time limit(strictly enforced).

I don't think that the car will be there when you return.

Buona Fortuna!!!

Rick

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
172 posts
2. Re: Parking Piazzale Michelangelo

An old post but the same question. We are only going to be in florence for the day. Free sounds great. Does anyone know the time restictions...is it hours or sunset, etc?

And if there is a bus, does it come often?

Thanks so much.

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
3. Re: Parking Piazzale Michelangelo

there is pay parking which is reasonably secure at Porta Romana -- don't leave your car at the Piazzale all day or it will be gone when you return -- it is parking designed for people visiting the Piazzale not for long term car storage

Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
19,284 posts
124 reviews
4. Re: Parking Piazzale Michelangelo

Florence is not the ideal place to take a car - it is tangle of narrow medieval streets, pedestrianised areas, one way streets and limited parking. If you park where you should not then clamping is always a possibility with a hefty financial penalty to be unclamped.

In high season Piazzale Michelangelo is very busy with cars, coaches and service buses jockeying for position amongst the various traders trying to sell tourist souvenirs. However in December parking should be much easier for a short stay but I would not dream of parking overnight. The chances of you being clamped are very high, even if your car is still there in the morning.

Find one of the big underground car parks where you will have to pay but you can leave you car. I have only got experience of the undergound car park in Borgo San Jacopo which used to charge about 25 euros for a 24 hour stay though what it charges now I have no idea.

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
172 posts
5. Re: Parking Piazzale Michelangelo

Thanks so much. I am now wondering if there is a train stop before Florence where we could leave the car for the day and take the train in and out....possibly less hassle??

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
48 reviews
6. Re: Parking Piazzale Michelangelo

Where would you be coming into Florence from?

nashville
Level Contributor
5,125 posts
13 reviews
7. Re: Parking Piazzale Michelangelo

if you are day tripping into Florence and have a car, it is really easy to park at Porta Romana and then walk down the Via Romana to the Ponte Vecchio and into the center OR grab a bus that runs down that street and into town -- or get a cab at the PR cab rank -- it is really easy and convenient

Harrisburg, PA
Level Contributor
172 posts
8. Re: Parking Piazzale Michelangelo

We will be coming from the A1 or Fabro area. I have mapped out the Porta Romana lot and I think we can drive up to Piazzale Michelangelo and then back down to the lot. Sounds like a plan. Thanks for all your help.

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
48 reviews
9. Re: Parking Piazzale Michelangelo

Sounds a very good plan.

Enjoy!

10. Re: Parking Piazzale Michelangelo

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 September 2009, 21:47