We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking outside Florence & take transit in?

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
251 posts
61 reviews
Save Topic
Parking outside Florence & take transit in?

We will be renting a car during our 5 day stay in Tuscany and my husband would like to go into Florence once or twice to see the city. I've heard that driving in Florence is awful (or can be really confusing for those who haven't done it before).

Is there any place where we can park on the outskirts of town and then take some kind of transit (bus/train) into the city?

Is this a smart idea for going in to see Florence? Or are there any other suggestions?

We'll have a GPS unit and plan to update the Europe map a few days before we leave for our trip, but I'm not sure if all the rules are on the maps for our GPS (i.e. the one way roads and everything).

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Europe
Europe
World
Best Seller
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
7,237 Reviews
from US$ 104.20*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,346 Reviews
from US$ 104.20*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Day Trip with Transport...
761 Reviews
from US$ 104.20*
San Francisco
12 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Parking outside Florence & take transit in?

I have been wondering the same thing, we are there mid-September. Posting so that I can see the responses :)

Greve in Chianti...
Level Contributor
571 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Parking outside Florence & take transit in?

From what direction will you be approaching Florence?

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Level Contributor
21,537 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Parking outside Florence & take transit in?

Yes, where exactly will you be staying in the country?

San Francisco
12 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Parking outside Florence & take transit in?

I can't speak for MrsBee711, the original poster, but hoping you can help us too. We'll be staying near Montefiridolfi in Chianti.

Greve in Chianti...
Level Contributor
571 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Parking outside Florence & take transit in?

Montefiridolfi! Lovely spot, and very near Florence!

Fromo Montefiridolfi, drive the Fi-Si to Florence. At the A1 roundabout, continue through Galuzzo, into the city. Depending on when you're there, you might encounter some detours due to road repair - just make sure you follow the signs that take you toward Piazzale Michelangelo. You may have to go to Porta Romana and back-track a little bit, or not... depends on road work. Right now, that's the route you'd take. Under normal conditions, you would turn right at Due Strade onto Via del Gelsomino, then follow up to the Viale dei Colli - either way, you're going toward P.Michelangelo. Pass the piazzale, keep winding down the hill until you hit the roundabout at Ponte S. Nicolò. Don't go over the bridge - instead, follow Lungarno in the direction of Ponte alle Grazie. You'll usually find plenty of parking along this stretch. If not, turn right and go over Ponte alle Grazie - DO NOT go straight. It will take you into the ZTL. Cross the bridge, turn right at the other side - DO NOT go straight or you'll be back in the ZTL again. Follow the Lungarno up the other side of the river - parking begins shortly after the National Library. Park in the BLUE spaces, not white which are for residents. You'll have to pay for parking at the "parkometro" - €2 for the first hour, €1 for each hour after that until 8pm. Parking is free on Sundays, and the ZTL is accessible to non-residents.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Piazzale Michelangelo
Piazzale Michelangelo
28,220 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Porta Romana
Porta Romana
95 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Hotel Lungarno
Hotel Lungarno
1,421 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
21,537 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Parking outside Florence & take transit in?

Sounds complicated? Here is the timetable for the busses (most changing in San Casciano Val di pesa). http://www.acvbus.it/orari/368.pdf

San Francisco
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Parking outside Florence & take transit in?

Thanks to both of you - very helpful. We were actually thinking of visiting on a Sunday. Does that mean that our worries about the ZTL are not necessary after all?

Thanks!

Guelph, Canada
Level Contributor
251 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Parking outside Florence & take transit in?

Whoops - I should have put where we're staying.

We're staying at Villa Poggitazzi, located at 52028 Terranuova Bracciolini. So we'd be coming in from the south, likely on the E35 - Autostrada del Sole (??? not sure if that's what it's called - but that's what Google Maps calls is).

Mentioned in this post
Autostrada
Autostrada
1 Review
Florence, Italy
St Paul, MN
Level Contributor
21,420 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Parking outside Florence & take transit in?

Here is a previous poast about parking at Porta Romana and taking the bus into central Florence

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187895-i68-k30109…

Mentioned in this post
Porta Romana
Porta Romana
95 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Florence
Florence
Level Contributor
21,537 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Parking outside Florence & take transit in?

I would not risk the ZTL even on a Sunday.