We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Single day trip to Tuscany

Fremont, California
Level Contributor
146 posts
32 reviews
Save Topic
Single day trip to Tuscany

We are staying in Florence for 1.5 days and then we have one more day in hand to return to Rome. I planned to start from Rome early morning, take the train to Lucca, keep the baggage in the station, roam around the city, takea nice Tuscan lunch alongwith some great wine and then head for Pisa. After reaching Pisa, again keep the baggage at the station, take a trip to the tower and then catch the train to Rome in the afternoon. Pisa should not take more than an hour and a half, I guess. It will be early Sept, so there will still be daylight till 7 p.m. and that way we could enjoy our train journey through the Tuscany as well.

Does this sound a good plan to you folks, who have visited the places earlier? Feel free to suggest a better itinerary if you like.

Thanks

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Best Seller
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
7,237 Reviews
from US$ 103.80*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,346 Reviews
from US$ 103.80*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Day Trip with Transport...
762 Reviews
from US$ 103.80*
Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
534 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Single day trip to Tuscany

Listen to Debstah- you will come back. Do not make mistake of getting hung up on logistics. Too many americans spend their holidays jutting from one area to another.

I know because I am an american and have been known to do that when looking at a new locale.

Florence is MAGICAL as is most of Tuscany. You will be drawn back many times.

Make that nice Tuscan lunch one in Florence. Ask the experts on the board here for a favorite spot for lunch. Take a walk up to the Hill and watch sunset from the cafe/bar at the top.(by the David Statue).

Enjoy your self and relax----- take it slow.

ladyDar

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
Hotel David
Hotel David
3,520 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Firenze
Level Contributor
557 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Single day trip to Tuscany

If you still want to do something on your way between florence and rome, i'd suggest you at least move in the right direction. Lucca is in the opposite direction from Rome, whereas Orvieto is a nice stop, 2 hours south of florence on the regional train, and is a town that I think you can see in a day.

Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Orvieto
Orvieto
Province of Terni, Italy
Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,669 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Single day trip to Tuscany

An excellent suggestion Tomale.

Cincinnati, Ohio
Level Contributor
534 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Single day trip to Tuscany

Absolutely I had mentioned either on this thread or another in references on the line from Rome to Stop at Orvieto.

There is no luggage storage there though- we ended up doing a side trip from Rome out to Orvieto and back on same afternoon.

In Orvieto there are organized tours after you exit the furnicular at the top of the hill, in front of the church.

Take lunch there- a nice chilled Orvieto Classico.

The views are magnificent!!!!

LadyDar

Mentioned in this post
Rome
Rome
Lazio, Italy
Orvieto
Orvieto
Province of Terni, Italy
Level Contributor
21,537 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Single day trip to Tuscany

Very nice, but it would be instead of Lucca, not on top of it.

Mentioned in this post
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
HomeAgain
6 posts
Save Reply
16. Re: Single day trip to Tuscany

Debstah~~Hellooooo !! I am sooo glad that you are returning to Italy !! Where and when??????

Your old friend

Mentioned in this post
Italy
Italy
Europe
Los Angeles
Level Contributor
1,529 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Single day trip to Tuscany

Hhhhhhhhhhiiiiiiiiiiiii you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I replied to your PM with the details!

Glad you're back! *blows a kiss*

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: Single day trip to Tuscany

Wittttttttttttttttttttttttttyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy!!!! She's back !!!!! I MISSED you!!! How are you?

Level Contributor
39 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
19. Re: Single day trip to Tuscany

Skip Pisa and just go to Lucca. It's a much more beautiful town and you will have more time to spend there. Pisa is very dull, in my opinion. It doesn't sound to me as if you're allowing enough time. Things move slowly in Italy. You will most likely be delayed somewhere along the way leading to frustration and disappointment. Italy is all about the quality of life. You will not have enough time to see anything worth seeing if you travel at the pace you are suggesting.

Mentioned in this post
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy
Lucca
Lucca
Province of Lucca, Italy
Italy
Italy
Europe
washington, dc
Level Contributor
4,022 posts
1 review
Save Reply
20. Re: Single day trip to Tuscany

CrimeinParis

Forgive my asking, but how much of Pisa did you see other than the tourist-overrun area around the silly tower?

Mentioned in this post
Pisa
Pisa
Province of Pisa, Italy