We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walk from train station to hotel??

United States
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
Walk from train station to hotel??

Hello, my husband & I are staying at B&B Il Salotto Di Firenze (near the Duomo). Their website suggests taking a taxi or bus to the hotel. It doesn't look like a bad walk on the map.

Is it safe to walk from the train station to the hotel? How far? Thanks!!

Mentioned in this post
Il Salotto di Firenze
Il Salotto di Firenze
359 Reviews
Florence, Italy
Likely To Sell Out
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
7,072 Reviews
from US$ 106.00*
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,266 Reviews
from US$ 106.00*
Special Offer
Florence Super Saver: Best of...
1,567 Reviews
from US$ 100.10*
US$ 134.30
Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walk from train station to hotel??

It's not a bad walk. I'd definitely walk it to save money, but then I'm always on a tight budget so it depends on your priorities. The streets are pretty busy and not exactly evenly paved in many places, so even if you have wheeled cases it's not that easy to drag luggage from the station into Florence. But it's not a long way at all and yes, it's perfectly safe. You need to be a bit aware around the station itself, just for pickpockets etc, as you're more likely to be distracted away from your handbag / purse if you have a suitcase to worry about! But otherwise it's fine.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Province of Florence, Italy
United States
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Walk from train station to hotel??

Thanks for the advice-we try to save where we can. I don't mind uneven pavement, as we are packing light. Are there sidewalks or are you on the side of a busy street? Sorry for so many questions.

Norwich, Norfolk, Uk
Level Contributor
8,669 posts
68 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walk from train station to hotel??

There are sidewalks. I'd walk it too, not far at all.

Westchester, NY
Level Contributor
23 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walk from train station to hotel??

We walked all through Florence and had no problems. I would listen to the responses which direct you to pack light. We did not and were sorry for that. Get a good map 3 euros and that will serve you well.

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Chorley, United...
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
19,041 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walk from train station to hotel??

Safe, certainly. I have never considered Florence to be anything other than a safe city and my wife and I (both in our late 70s) have no hesitation about walking around Florence by day or by night.

Sensible - depends upon how heavy your luggage may be. It is a walk of about 600 yards

Mentioned in this post
Florence
Florence
Level Contributor
39 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walk from train station to hotel??

It's quite a trek from the train station. I'm a walker and I definitely wouldn't recommend it, especially with a suitcase in tow. The sidewalks are very narrow and you end up walking alot in the street, that is until a motorbike comes zooming by and then you have to jump back up onto the sidewalk to avoid being killed.

Level Contributor
21,537 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Walk from train station to hotel??

Safe but bumpy. Start enjoying the city after you have deopsited your luggage. You will save 10 euros for the taxi somewhere else. Do take one.

8. Re: Walk from train station to hotel??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2010, 10:48