We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions about All'Antico Vinaio

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
538 posts
135 reviews
Questions about All'Antico Vinaio

Hi,

I will be visiting Florence in about 2 weeks time and have been told that All'Antico Vinaio is a MUST while there. I fully intend on trying the place but can't find a menu anywhere, not on their website nor their FB page....would anyone know where to find this info? Also, I understand that you pick up your order and eat on the street, I know there's a new law that went into effect recently where you can't eat or drink on certain streets, is this is the banned area or is it OK to sit down close by to enjoy the sights while you eat?

Any information would be much appreciated.

Thanks !

Best Seller
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
7,444 Reviews
from US$ 106.00*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Day Trip with Transport...
802 Reviews
from US$ 106.00*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,421 Reviews
from US$ 106.00*
13 replies to this topic
Destination Expert
for Florence
Level Contributor
2,846 posts
5 reviews
1. Re: Questions about All'Antico Vinaio

Funny,

I've been visiting Florence with some frequency for 60 years, and nobody has ever said anything remotely like that to me. And I've never set foot in the place.

I guess I haven't lived.

Turin
Level Contributor
9,345 posts
1 review
2. Re: Questions about All'Antico Vinaio

You can eat while walking away, you can't get food from Take Away places like All'Antico Vinaio and then either sit/lay in front of people's doors, or stand in the same street. It's not a couple of tourists doing it at noon, it's hundreds and hundred of tourists laying for hours and hours in a tiny street where real people actually live.

You can eat and walk wherever you want, just don't eat while sitting on sidewalks, stairs, pavements and bridges. Camping is allowed in parks, not in squares, streets and on benches.

Finland
Level Contributor
1,528 posts
71 reviews
3. Re: Questions about All'Antico Vinaio

I think I've seen at least Pericoloso saying that you will be shunned from polite society if you don't eat there. 😀

TravelChickie, I tried to find the menu too before my trip, no success. Didn't get to try the sandwiches anyway because of those insanely long lines.

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
12,231 posts
114 reviews
4. Re: Questions about All'Antico Vinaio

Anyone you tells you that it is a MUST must lead a very sheltered life. It is a sandwich shop with basically four or five choices, although they will help you out if you are, say, vegetarian.

If you go around lunchtime the queues are longer than those at the Uffizi and you are in a narrow, crowded street.

Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
5,249 posts
7 reviews
5. Re: Questions about All'Antico Vinaio

I can't see how a sandwich bar is a "must" in a city that has many, many bars that sell sandwiches.

There will probably be a board where they chalk up the varieties of fillings, the wait will possibly be long enough for you to have time to decide whdt you want.

Yes, Via dei Neri is definitely in the area where sitting down in the street to eat is banned.

I've never eaten there, so can't really comment on the food, but I find it strange how people rave over a take away sandwich when there are so many other places where you can eat them sitting down.

Aliso Viejo...
Level Contributor
213 posts
1 review
6. Re: Questions about All'Antico Vinaio

I’m not sure I’d say All'Antico Vinaio is a MUST. There are other “street food” places with older pedigrees.

In the city that is the ancestor of most western art and architecture, sometimes a sandwich is just a sandwich.

An argument could be made that the new ordinance against sitting on the curb and eating is the direct result of All'Antico Vinaio’s success.

If a sandwich in Firenze is on your bucket list, there is a great lampredotto stand in Piazza Sant'Ambrogio. Or if you must sit down, try Nerbonne in Mercato San Lorenzo.

Montreal, Canada
Level Contributor
538 posts
135 reviews
7. Re: Questions about All'Antico Vinaio

Thanks for your feedback. This place was recommended to me by friends who have been and was also featured on the Food network. I understand every person have their own opinion, I'm just taking advice from trusted friends. If anyone has better suggestions, by all means share them. I will look up the suggestions that

Strabot mentioned.

Edited: 21 September 2018, 23:52
Aliso Viejo...
Level Contributor
213 posts
1 review
8. Re: Questions about All'Antico Vinaio

No harm, no foul.

You could also check out I Fratellini. Literally a hole in the wall. And the menu is online.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,868 posts
39 reviews
9. Re: Questions about All'Antico Vinaio

I’ve visited Florence maybe a dozen times since 1964 and I’d never heard of it either.

Despite Gelateria dei Neri being my favorite gelateria.

Anyway I’m clearly much too old now to sit on the sidewalk voluntarily.

Indpls, IN
Level Contributor
90 posts
43 reviews
10. Re: Questions about All'Antico Vinaio

We have been to Florence several times and have waited in line and gotten sandwiches from here on each trip. Even in March and December there were lines, but not impossibly long (maybe a 15 minute wait at most). Mid afternoon is when we usually stopped. The menu is on a board by the door which you have plenty of time to study while you wait in line. If you look at the restaurant reviews on trip advisor, there are over 7000 photos, and on the first page there is a picture of part of the menu, there are likely more menu pictures but I didn't scroll farther.

It is a very good sandwich and at 5 euro is a good value for the size and quality. We were staying nearby and could take it back to our room to eat, or eat while we walked. I can understand why they banned sitting in the street there to eat, it is narrow and there are shops and residences all along it.

As for choices, most of the meats are pork based, they have a variety of toppings, spreads and cheeses. There are a number of preset named sandwiches, but you can build your own by picking the meat, cheese and toppings of your choice if one of the named choices doesn't appeal. The bread is fresh and the sandwiches are large. My husband and I usually split one.

Reply to: Questions about All'Antico Vinaio
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted