We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tuscany Wine tour that also stops in Tuscan Towns

New Zealand
Level Contributor
100 posts
65 reviews
Tuscany Wine tour that also stops in Tuscan Towns

Greeting Trip Advisors

My wife and I are visiting Italy in April/May 2019 and would like to do a tour of Tuscany from Florence. We would like to visit a couple of wineries have lunch and visit a couple of medieval towns.

The only way I can see to do this is on a private tour which is quite expensive for 2 people. Can anyone recommend a tour that would meet our criteria set out above or come close to it. Appreciate any advise or help you can give.

KInd Regards

Peter

5 replies to this topic
London
Level Contributor
3,015 posts
27 reviews
1. Re: Tuscany Wine tour that also stops in Tuscan Towns

"The only way I can see to do this is on a private tour"

Why do you say that?

Is it because you want to do all of that in one day?

Otherwise there are many medieval towns you can easily visit on public transport from Florence: Arezzo, Siena, Lucca, etc. I'm sure that's the case for some wineries too.

On a side note, Tuscany is huge so a real "tour of Tuscany" would take weeks.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,998 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Tuscany Wine tour that also stops in Tuscan Towns

Walking through Florence city centre I see travel agencies and kiosks on almost every corner offering a wide range of bus tours from the city at often very attractive prices. Some come as far as the Val d'Orcia, others concentrate on the major sights (Pisa, San Gimignano, Siena) and then there are those that just take you out into the Chianti visiting a couple of estates and having lunch somewhere. Hopefully someone will chip in with first hand experience of particular tours but there are certainly plenty to choose from.

Hong Kong, China
Destination Expert
for Hong Kong, Osaka
Level Contributor
61,222 posts
171 reviews
3. Re: Tuscany Wine tour that also stops in Tuscan Towns

OP wants a tour with a couple wineries and Tuscan towns included within one day. I don't think he is looking to visit the entire region in this short period of time.

It's easy to visit some of the towns on your own (see #2 above). However, putting wineries into the mix makes planning more difficult. Wineries are typically located in rural, small towns and villages. For example, Verrazzano runs a great wine tour at a relatively reasonable price. However, you would need to take the bus there and then walk up the hill yourself for 30 minutes. I always drive in the area so I am not very good with knowing small town bus routes or taxi availability.

London, United...
Level Contributor
2,277 posts
33 reviews
4. Re: Tuscany Wine tour that also stops in Tuscan Towns

Grape Tours offer a number of different itineraries for group tours, all involving two or three wineries and some with stops in different towns - they aren't exactly cheap, but I did one of their tours recently and it was really good, plenty of food and wine and a really knowledgeable guide: https:/…1-day-small-group-tours

Destination Expert
for Florence
Level Contributor
2,885 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Tuscany Wine tour that also stops in Tuscan Towns

peegee1

What kind of "town" are you hoping to visit?

If you're talking about some village, such as San Casciano in Val di Pesa, or Greve, you can easily pop in, see what there is to see, and spend some time at a couple of vineyards.

If you're talking about one of the gems of Tuscany -- Siena, or Montepulciano, etc., then I think you're making a mistake. You're simply trying to do far too much in far too little time, and you'll wind up wasting the day.

Sometimes you have to choose, and sometimes less really is more.

Reply to: Tuscany Wine tour that also stops in Tuscan Towns
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted