We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which Day to Depart Florence Airport?

Ohio
Level Contributor
9 posts
51 reviews
Save Topic
Which Day to Depart Florence Airport?

Hi All! Could I please ask for your assistance in determining which day is better to depart Florence Airport. My husband and I will be in Florence mid May 2019 and will take the tram (hopefully) to the airport. We would depart on a late morning flight on either a Friday or a Saturday via Air Portugal. Is one day less busy than the other? Would you prefer one day over the other and why? Would we encounter any issues with fog, etc., at that time of year? Any experience with Air Portugal? I have been reading the forum regularly as I plan our trip. Thanks so much for your responses!

Best Seller
Tuscany 1-Day Sightseeing Tour with...
7,330 Reviews
from US$ 106.50*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Full-Day Tour with Lunch...
780 Reviews
from US$ 106.50*
Best Seller
Florence to Cinque Terre Hiking Day...
3,380 Reviews
from US$ 106.50*
3 replies to this topic
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,772 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which Day to Depart Florence Airport?

Fog is unlikely in May. The major weather issue at FLR year round are the notorious cross-winds that can mean flights are diverted, usually to Pisa. Unpredictable though, it's simply a risk we all take when flying in and out of the airport.

Edited: 05 August 2018, 19:38
Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
5,194 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Which Day to Depart Florence Airport?

Fog is unlikely in May - at least I thought so until 31st May this year.

The problem wasn't in Florence, but London City, even so, I was surprised that even foggy London Town had fog on that date, the weather was nice and warm. though. So, even if Florence doesn't have fog, your destination airport might have.

Our flight was an hour or so delayed, the other UK flights were running.

As lastraniera has said, it's the cross-winds that are a problem. I've booked flights for November this year, but I'm quite prepared for the flight to be diverted to Pisa.

I don't know if Fridays or Saturdays would be more busy. It's a busy time of year, anyway.

Destination Expert
for Florence
Level Contributor
2,660 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which Day to Depart Florence Airport?

I would argue that a day in Florence is better than a day anywhere in Portugal -- or just about anywhere else. So spend the extra day in Florence.

Reply to: Which Day to Depart Florence Airport?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted