We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

When does 90min bus ticket end?

New Jersey
Level Contributor
373 posts
161 reviews
When does 90min bus ticket end?

I understand that a bus ticket has a 90min validity from when you validate it as you board your first bus. When does the validity end, exactly 90min later? I read that I do not need to re-validate the ticket on subsequent rides. What if I board another bus 89min after I first validated? Does the validation expire as soon while I am on board? In most other cities on board, you are OK until you get off the bus. However, if you don't need to re-stamp the ticket, and someone checks it and it is after 90min, how would they know if you boarded prior to the expiration.

Edited: 05 August 2018, 13:45
9 replies to this topic
Melbourne, Australia
Level Contributor
50 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: When does 90min bus ticket end?

I believe that it expires 90 minutes from the initial validation time, so you need to have completed your journey within that time frame to be travelling legally (and you may have read the rants about Florence bus inspectors on TA recently!).

Edited: 05 August 2018, 13:50
Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
12,654 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: When does 90min bus ticket end?

Yes, the validity ends at 90 minutes. This is from the FAQ's to the right:

At the beginning of your journey you MUST validate your ticket by inserting it into the bottom of the validation machine inside the bus. The ticket is then valid for 90 minutes on any buses. For instance, you can change buses or go somewhere, and return, all on the same ticket, provided it is within the 90 mins. However, you MUST complete your journey and exit the bus within that 90 minutes.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g187895…

London
Level Contributor
3,389 posts
153 reviews
3. Re: When does 90min bus ticket end?

I think it is pretty obvious that valid for 90 minutes means no longer valid after 90 minutes.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
373 posts
161 reviews
4. Re: When does 90min bus ticket end?

Thanks, I did see that FAQ but there is a note that is outdated so I wanted to ask to be sure.

A strange system compared to buses I've taken in other countries. Now I have to keep this in mind and factor in traffic delays and such to ensure I can get to my destination in time. Would it be safe to assume other buses in italy with timed tickets are similar, Pisa, Rome, ...

Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
12,438 posts
115 reviews
5. Re: When does 90min bus ticket end?

No. You can not assume that the system anywhere else in Italy will be the same as in Florence. Is the system in NJ the same as that in California?

Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
7 reviews
6. Re: When does 90min bus ticket end?

I don't think that it's strange at all, it's valid for 90 minutes after being stamped in the machine and that's it. Also, it's very good value.

There was a post a while back, where a couple started their return journey from Fiesole just before their tickets were about to expire. They thought that because they had boarded the bus within the 90 minutes, they would be OK - the ticket inspector thought differently.

Of course, it was the inspector's fault for fining them, they thought that because they were innocent tourists they should have got away with it.

I can't see the problem, if the ticket's validity ends after 90 minutes and you're still on the bus, then you are travelling illegally.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,637 posts
17 reviews
7. Re: When does 90min bus ticket end?

On the other hand, Trenitalia's Regionale tickets are (mostly) valid for 4 hours. But if you are on a train when the 4 hours run out, you can stay on that train to complete your journey.

New Jersey
Level Contributor
373 posts
161 reviews
8. Re: When does 90min bus ticket end?

Actually, yes, the bus system here in NJ works the same way as it does in CA. In most places that I have visited around the world, the validity time goes until you get off the vehicle. So if its a 90 min ticket, and you get on the bus at 89min, you are good until you get off the bus even if its over 90 min. It is usually enforced by the driver or a machine that checks your ticket. That way, you don't have to worry about the bus being late or getting stuck in traffiic and getting off the bus in the middle of nowhere. Since that is the most common system around the world, I can understand how tourist might accidentally miss this subtlety. That doesn't mean people shouldn't get fined for not knowing ofcourse.

Anyways, thanks for clarifying.

Edited: 05 August 2018, 22:48
Destination Expert
for Florence
Level Contributor
3,139 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: When does 90min bus ticket end?

eng333

"It is usually enforced by the driver or a machine that checks your ticket."

I haven't been on a bus in decades where the driver actually checks tickets.

And, if you're using a one-ride ticket, and you've already validated it once, the machine will not validate it a second time. It will simply make an ugly noise.

And, if you're using a multi-ride ticket, and you've already validated it once, if you try to validate it again, it will just subtract another ride from your ticket.

Reply to: When does 90min bus ticket end?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted