We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accademia Gallery on free Sunday

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
33 posts
40 reviews
Accademia Gallery on free Sunday

We can only visit the Accademia Gallery on the first Sunday of the month (free admission day). Anticipating that crowds will be crazy, what time of the day would be strategically best to avoid the bigger crowds? Would like to go late afternoon and not planning to spend too much time at the museum. Would there be less crowds that time of day? (4:00 - on). Thanks in advance for any tips.

Best Seller
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
7,448 Reviews
from US$ 105.70*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Day Trip with Transport...
804 Reviews
from US$ 105.70*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,425 Reviews
from US$ 105.70*
2 replies to this topic
United States
Level Contributor
1,352 posts
1 review
1. Re: Accademia Gallery on free Sunday

I actually answered most of these questions in your earlier thread from 2 months ago.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18789…

From my experience, a morning visit (shortly after opening) worked out great for me - NO LINES!!! I also did a search on the Florence forum for Free Sunday and the majority of responses were 1) Don't visit on Free Sundays and 2) If you must visit, visit in the morning.

It would seem to me that if there was a long line, it might not be as taxing in the morning vs the afternoon due to heat. If you decide to visit in the afternoon, make sure to stay hydrated.

Ballarat, Australia
Level Contributor
2,143 posts
192 reviews
2. Re: Accademia Gallery on free Sunday

When we were in Italy last year, everything we REALLY wanted to see, we got there at opening time. We didn't book anything (other than a Colosseum tour in Rome) and we didn't wait very long for anything. Be prepared to get out early, not sleep in (that's not what holidays are for, to me!) and you will see quite a bit.

It's always been said on here that it's insane to go on Free Sundays, but sometimes you just have to do it on that day.

Edited: 06 August 2018, 10:36
Reply to: Accademia Gallery on free Sunday
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted