We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best 1/2 day Trip from Florence?

Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
Best 1/2 day Trip from Florence?

My husband and I are going to Italy for our Honeymoon and spending 2-4 days in various cities. We will be arrive in Florence by Train on Friday, 28 September at 1220 and stay through Sunday, 30 September, afternoon.

1. We don't know the next time we will be in Italy so, we want to see/eat as much as possible ;)

2. If you had to pick a place to travel to, close to Florence, for a half day (no overnight), where would you go?

3. I understand that there is A LOT to see in Florence and some people might suggest to not go ANYWHERE else and just soak up Florence. Thoughts on this, considering our desire to soak up as much as we can?

36 replies to this topic
Sudbury...
Level Contributor
9,114 posts
1,191 reviews
1. Re: Best 1/2 day Trip from Florence?

Hi Ashley,

You have a bit more than two days - very little time for Florence, so I would suggest to stay in this wonder of a city and enjoy her in full.

Just my two cents...

Destination Expert
for Florence
Level Contributor
3,146 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Best 1/2 day Trip from Florence?

Ashley W

"we want to see/eat as much as possible".

Listen to Nora.

Travel less and see more.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33,934 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Best 1/2 day Trip from Florence?

www.discovertuscany.com/lucca trains www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

Destination Expert
for Florence
Level Contributor
3,146 posts
6 reviews
4. Re: Best 1/2 day Trip from Florence?

Nurioopta

If somebody has so little time, why would you suggest they spend half a day on a really boring train ride to and from Lucca?

Brussels, Belgium
Level Contributor
37,277 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: Best 1/2 day Trip from Florence?

The thing is that with transport time, 1/2 day means you would only have a couple of hours at your destination: and you really cannot visit Siena or Lucca, or anywhere else that might be recommended for a DAY trip from Florence, in such a short time. San Gimignano doesn't require longer than a couple of hours, but it takes 1 hr by train to Poggibonsi and then you would be taking a bus.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,181 posts
141 reviews
6. Re: Best 1/2 day Trip from Florence?

Why would you spend time on the train or bus with so little time.

You obviously have not educated yourself on Florence and it's magnificence. What do you want? as many selfies as possible in different places? You are completely missing the objective of travelling and more important of a honeymoon.

Puget Sound...
Level Contributor
1,822 posts
231 reviews
7. Re: Best 1/2 day Trip from Florence?

Pretty harsh, bonjours. If they want to see a bit of Tuscany beyond Florence, that's their privilege. San Gimignano is certainly do-able.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33,934 posts
17 reviews
8. Re: Best 1/2 day Trip from Florence?

Venerosi with respect

kindly refrain from denigrating fellow TA contributors, and just offer your own option to the OP

Level Contributor
33 posts
3 reviews
9. Re: Best 1/2 day Trip from Florence?

Oh my goodness. This has been my first experience of such judgement and negativity on the TA forums. Bonjour specifically....

It’s none of your concern how many selfies I want to take. If I want to travel around Italy taking as many selfies as my phone can hold, that’s my prerogative.

As I stated, my husband and I want to soak up as much of Italy as possible.

In this thread, I’m looking for opinions in the BEST day trip I can take from Florence. What is the BEST neighboring city with the b at food, sights, history etc.

What I’m not looking for is your nasty judgement and opinions on what our honeymoon should look like.

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
3,391 posts
24 reviews
10. Re: Best 1/2 day Trip from Florence?

The problem is that whatever we suggest will take 1.5 to 2 hours each way to get there, plus getting to and from the station, so a 1/2 day would be wasted travelling. You could get to Venice in about the same time that it takes to go to Lucca or Siena...to put it in perspective.

There is no “the best” as that would be in the eye of the beholder...

A lot of people like Lucca, my husband didn’t like Lucca and preferred Siena, i will suggest Arezzo to you, within 50 minutes by bus or train.

Some people here will suggest San Gimignano, but in September that might still be a zoo, and hard to get to.

Arezzo won’t be crowded, and it has a magnificent main square. But you see, you should look yourself at some guide books and see what interests you, as we are all very opinionated and don’t really know your tastes...

Reply to: Best 1/2 day Trip from Florence?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted