We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Half day trip to San G

Mumbai
Level Contributor
351 posts
10 reviews
Half day trip to San G

Greetings

We are 4 adults looking for a tuscan half day tour out of Florence. We wl be having a private driver for 4 hours.

Having done wineries earlier we are keen on absorbing the tuscan landscape ...rollings hills..cypress pines. We intend to reach San gimignano by 5pm and then head back to Florence.

We are looking for suggestions for pit stops on the way which are not to be missed. We intend to leave from florence by 3 pm

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated

Thanks

Amit

3 replies to this topic
CA
Level Contributor
11,488 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Half day trip to San G

I would leave it to the driver, as he/she is the local expert. There are two hours available, and it takes an hour to get to SG, maybe a little longer for a detour to one intermediate stop, maybe visiting there for 45 minutes. If it takes say only 15 minutes to park and walk back and forth, maybe you have only a half hour there. And you are anticipating multiple stops? I would ask if SG is the best destination.

Destination Expert
for Florence
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Half day trip to San G

Take a look at a map and look up some of the towns on the way in a good guide book, such as the Blue Guide to Tuscany.

If it were me, I would think about stopping at Colle val d'Elsa, at the foot of the hill San Gimignano sits on. It's an ancient village wonderfully evocative of its age, and layers of changes over time, with lots of lovely old buildings and spectacular views of the Valley of the Elsa below. And/or I would think about a quick stop in Greve, the capital of Chianti wine, with its charming main square.

But "must sees" are really a terrible idea. Life -- or at least Tuscany -- is far too complicated for that.

Edited: 04 August 2018, 01:05
Mumbai
Level Contributor
351 posts
10 reviews
3. Re: Half day trip to San G

Many thanks for all your suggestions

We intentionally have placed San G towards the end at 5ish so we can beat some of the daytrippers crowd.

Any chances of visiting any horse stables enroute? My wife is a fan of those and this is something we both enjoy.

Reply to: Half day trip to San G
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted