We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

review of itinerary please!

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
19 posts
19 reviews
review of itinerary please!

hi!

i am travelling to italy for 2 weeks - sept 7 to 21, with my husband, toddler and dad and we are hoping to spend the first week in florence. can someone look at the plan and let me know if this makes sense? all suggestions welcome!

also, regarding train bookings - is it cheaper to book beforehand or should i book it at the station. am looking at cheapest class tickets.

am open to both arezzo and grosetto for the last day - which is better.

we have no transport - so do consider that before the suggestions!

Day 1 and 2 - train from rome, arrive in florence, overnight stay

Day 3 - head to la spezia, overnight at la spezia

day 4 - train to Cinque terre, overnight at CT village

day 5 - hike CT, take train back to la spezia, overnight at spezia

day 6 - LS to pisa by train, stop for a few hours, take train to siena

day 7 - Look around siena, overnight stop

day 8 - siena to arezzo, overnight at arezzo

day 9 - train to rome

thanks much and very excited!

13 replies to this topic
Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
3,624 posts
155 reviews
1. Re: review of itinerary please!

I would suggest 3nights in cinque terre in one place to avoid switching hotels 3 times, or 3 nights in Levanto very close to C T and a very nice village. La Spezia is not very attractive. One day in Florence might be very short as is one night in Siena.

Destination Expert
for Florence
Level Contributor
3,147 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: review of itinerary please!

And I, on the other hand, would suggest that you forget the Cinque Terre entirely.

You are paying, in effect, no attention at all to many of the greatest accomplishments in the history of the West -- in Florence and Siena -- to spend time in some hum-drum former fishing villages which have been ruined by far too many tourists.There are much, much better places to take a walk.

Edited: 03 August 2018, 17:55
Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,735 posts
95 reviews
3. Re: review of itinerary please!

I would be dead by day 3... too much running around. Stop and smell the roses as they say. It all looks like a blur to me. Way too many places. You haven't said what you plan to do and see in each of those places. Are you just going to walk around?

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,181 posts
141 reviews
4. Re: review of itinerary please!

8 locations in 9 days (8 nights) not bad if all you want to do is take selfies to say you have been there.

You need to seriously cut back

pacific northwest
Level Contributor
660 posts
42 reviews
5. Re: review of itinerary please!

Agreed. You have too many destinations. You need to d code what you really want to see and spend more time with those. Three night in each of three destinations would be better. At a minimum, you need to spend 2 nights in one location between each single night destination.

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
6. Re: review of itinerary please!

Agreeing with some of the others, I would suggest you scale back your itinerary and fine tune exactly what kind of trip you want to have. If you want to Hike the CT, then definitely skip Florence and La Spezia, just stay in CT for a few more days so you can do the hike at your leisure, spend time in each of the villages, take a boat ride, etc.

I'd do something like CT 3 days, Siena 2 days, Arezzo 1 day, then travel days on either end.

Good luck!

Florence, Italy
Level Contributor
8 posts
12 reviews
7. Re: review of itinerary please!

Agreeing with some of the others, I would suggest you scale back your itinerary and fine tune exactly what kind of trip you want to have. If you want to Hike the CT, then definitely skip Florence and La Spezia, just stay in CT for a few more days so you can do the hike at your leisure, spend time in each of the villages, take a boat ride, etc.

I'd do something like CT 3 days, Siena 2 days, Arezzo 1 day, then travel days on either end.

Good luck!

Orange County...
Destination Expert
for Amalfi Coast
Level Contributor
3,130 posts
23 reviews
8. Re: review of itinerary please!

I am exhausted just from looking at the list of one night stays. Seriously, look at the travel time between each daily destination and realize the amount of time remaining after travel and sleep. Resist the urge to “see it all” and revamp your plan so that you will at least have a chance to enjoy something. Rushing from place to place is not enjoying. Cut it down to two but absolutely no more than three destinations. Allow time to enjoy the places you visit.

California
Level Contributor
12,815 posts
56 reviews
9. Re: review of itinerary please!

You have at least 6 hotel changes in 8 nights....does that seem reasonable to you? Time to take a breath and create a manageable and enjoyable trip.

New Delhi, India
Level Contributor
19 posts
19 reviews
10. Re: review of itinerary please!

thanks everyone - really appreciate the honest responses! please do let me know if this looks better:

7 - fly into rome, overnight at rome

8 - see around rome, overnight at rome

9 - head to florence, overnight at florence

10 - day trip to pistoia - overnight at florence

11 - day trip to bologna - overnight at florence

12 - day trip to lucca, pisa, - overnight at florence

13 - florence sights, overnight

14 - head to siena, overnight at siena

15 - stay in siena, explore, overnight at siena

16 - siena to arezzo, overnight at arezzo

17 - head to rome, overnight at rome

still figuring 18-20, flying out 21.

i have cut down on CT, which perhaps makes sense for us. we are more interested in looking at historical old cities and art etc.

does this look reasonable?am tempted by venice, any place i could trade for that? a day trip may not make sense since i have a toddler and granddad with us.

Edited: 04 August 2018, 09:30
Reply to: review of itinerary please!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted