We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Somewhere to sit and chill in the center of Florence?

Stoke-on-Trent...
Level Contributor
3 posts
5 reviews
Somewhere to sit and chill in the center of Florence?

Can anyone suggest, somewhere to relax and “watch the world go by” in the center of Florence? After walking round museums etc for hours we just want to sit a while but not go back to the hotel. A garden or a park is the sort of thing we were hoping for,?

29 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
61 posts
54 reviews
1. Re: Somewhere to sit and chill in the center of Florence?

I've been two times in Florence and I have not seen such a thing so far (maybe there is, but I don't know it) in the center. If you go to Piazza Michelangelo, which is a high zone where you can get a good panoramic view of the entire old city, you will probably have the chance of relaxing there, but as it is for the parks, I would say that there are not too many of them in the old city, however, I think there is one close to the train station "Santa Maria Novella" which is the closest one to the center.

Otherwise, you can just go to a "Gelateria" and have an Ice Cream or a Coffee.

cheshire, england
Level Contributor
7,013 posts
78 reviews
2. Re: Somewhere to sit and chill in the center of Florence?

Personally, I wouldn’t traipse up to Piazza Michelangelo for a spot of relaxation.. the views might be good from up there but it’s essentially just a huge car park.. not what I call relaxing.

There are lots of cafes in the many piazze around Florence - but we’ve not encountered many seats/benches where one can just flop and take a breather:(

Folks that know the city better than I will hopefully give some suggestions..

Miami Beach, Florida
Level Contributor
2,737 posts
95 reviews
3. Re: Somewhere to sit and chill in the center of Florence?

There is a little green space with benches across from San Marco and while you are there San Marco is a great place to visit. They also have a cloister.

museumsinflorence.com/musei/museum_of_san_ma…

pacific northwest
Level Contributor
664 posts
42 reviews
4. Re: Somewhere to sit and chill in the center of Florence?

The only one I remember is San Marco. It’s a busy place and good for people-watching. A sandwich from a takeout simply eaten on a bench is also possible. We did that once.

Uk
Level Contributor
60 posts
82 reviews
5. Re: Somewhere to sit and chill in the center of Florence?

Try the Oblate Library at Via dell'Oriuolo 26. There's a cafe on the second floor with a great view over the Duomo.

Albion, New York
Level Contributor
1,020 posts
25 reviews
6. Re: Somewhere to sit and chill in the center of Florence?

The Piazza Massimo D'Azeglio is a bit out of the way but if you're near the Synagogue it's a nice park to sit and watch regular folks do regular things. On the other side of town the Piazza di Santa Maria Novella has some places to sit and watch the folks go by.

On the other side of the river, Pizza Santo Spirito has some benches and a nice fountain.

Edited: 02 August 2018, 19:55
Bedfordshire...
Destination Expert
for Berlin
Level Contributor
12,482 posts
115 reviews
7. Re: Somewhere to sit and chill in the center of Florence?

I'm sorry, I love San Marco, but I don't think it is a good place for 'chilling out' and people-watching. It is very busy with cars and buses whizzing round it all day long. Piazza Santa Maria Novella (the church not the station!) is a good place to sit for a while, plus you have one of the most beautiful churches in the city to look at.

London, United...
Level Contributor
134 posts
33 reviews
8. Re: Somewhere to sit and chill in the center of Florence?

For people watching an outdoor table at a cafè or bar would be best. But if you want just to sit and relax in a garden, there is a very beautiful botanical garden behind the Museo di San Marco. If you happen to be there in spring when the azaleas bloom it is magical

https:/…Orto_Botanico_di_Firenze

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
9,267 posts
7 reviews
9. Re: Somewhere to sit and chill in the center of Florence?

Feltrinelli bookshop on Piazza della Repubblica. Books, coffee, A/C - what more could you want at the moment?

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
207 posts
49 reviews
10. Re: Somewhere to sit and chill in the center of Florence?

I love to sit at Rivoire. They have good food and great coffee and they will never ask you to leave. I was sitting there 3 years ago. I was in Florence with my mother, sister and wife. They wanted to go jewelry shopping. Last thing I wanted to do. So I had a coffee and read my newspapers at Rivoire. After 3 hours the waiter came and said" Seniore, you have been here a long time." I said " I'm with three women who are shopping." He then says " Ah, then I better get you another coffee you will be here awhile longer."

Reply to: Somewhere to sit and chill in the center of Florence?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted