We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with Florence itinerary

Edmond, Oklahoma
8 posts
Help with Florence itinerary

Hi! I need help deciding Florence itinerary!

We will be arriving in Florence around 12pm on Sept 29-Oct 2. We will have 3.5 days to explore.

Here are the things we want to accomplish. Please let me know if you think this is possible, or if we are trying to cram too much in too little time. And how to prioritize them.

We want to see;

1.Uffizi, Acedemia, & Duomo (Could this all be done in a day?)

2.Boboli Gardens and Pitti

3.Tuscany wine tour- (Full day?)

4.Day trio to Pisa- (Possible half day?)

I know certain museums are closed on Monday and some wine tours don’t run on Sundays.

I’m having trouble deciding what to specifically do on each day.

Also, would it be worth getting the Firenze Card?

Thank you so much!!!!

34 replies to this topic
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
207 posts
49 reviews
1. Re: Help with Florence itinerary

Pisa 1/2 day at the most.You can do the Uffizi, Duomo and Accademia all in one day. Make sure you get your tickets on line .Mixed reviews on the Firenze card. I never used it. If Wine is important to you reserve a full day for a wine tour

Cambridgeshire...
Level Contributor
5,259 posts
7 reviews
2. Re: Help with Florence itinerary

I suppose that you could visit the Uffizi, Accademia and the Duomo in one day if you only wanted to see the actual Duomo, not that I would particularly want to do it.

However, if you wanted to to go to the Duomo Museum - Museo dell'Opera del Duomo - which is truly magnificent, the Baptistry and climb the dome or the campanile, which are all part of the Duomo complex, then no, I really don't think that you could.

The Uffizi and the Accademia are closed on Mondays, the Museo dell'Opera del Duomo on Tuesdays. You would need to make reservations for the Uffizi and the Accademia and to climb the dome.

Financially, I don't think the Firenze Card would be worth your while.

I don't know anything about wine tours, I'm afraid.

Destination Expert
for Florence
Level Contributor
3,143 posts
6 reviews
3. Re: Help with Florence itinerary

"You can do the Uffizi, Duomo and Accademia all in one day."

You talk about seeing, appreciating, and, perhaps, getting some understanding of many of the greatest works of art on this planet as though somebody were "doing" the dishes.

If that's the way you feel about it, why do it?

The dishes have to be "done". The Uffizi does not.

Over the past 60 years, I've seen hordes of people streaming through the Uffizi -- looking neither to the right nor the left -- not stopping to take even a glance at anything as they storm through room after room just following for the "Uscita" signs.

Of course, if you follow that model, you can "do" any number of the world's greatest museums in no time flat.

From where I sit, what you find in these museums are stories and arguments from some of the greatest communicators our species has ever known. To understand what they are saying takes time. Of course it helps if you read something about them before you go. It can also help if you actually find a guide who has done some reading and knows what's what -- many have not. But even with advance work, or a great guide, it takes time and effort -- on your part -- to understand. For example: What is the "Primavera" all about? What do you know about Botticelli's love of Lucretius? Or: Why is Michelangelo's "David" so wildly different from Donatello's two "Davids"? From Verrochio's "David"?

If you don't care what Beethoven of Chopin are "saying", why go to a performance of their music? If you don't care what Michelangelo and Botticelli are saying , why go to a museum.

Do the dishes instead.

Sudbury...
Level Contributor
9,076 posts
1,191 reviews
4. Re: Help with Florence itinerary

This is why we have to fight hugely crowds in world famous art museums now... because people go there to “do” it and take a couple of selfies of course. Agree with you wholeheartedly, Venerosi!

To the OP, do not get upset - my comment is not about you. Just advising you not to combine the Uffizi with another art museum in the same day.

Edmond, Oklahoma
8 posts
5. Re: Help with Florence itinerary

Thank you all for taking time to respond!

I’m not looking to start arguments or rants,😊 just trying to get more knowledge of what I should expect to fit in our 3.5 day schedule, from other experienced travelers. I’m sure I could spend all day in each museum, but unfortunately we only have 3.5 days.

Yes, we do want to climb the Duomo and visit the museum.

Would it be a better choice to skip a trip to Pisa and spend more time in museums and churches?

California
Level Contributor
12,790 posts
56 reviews
6. Re: Help with Florence itinerary

hi....you could roam the neighborhoods of Florence - Lonely Planet's small pocketbook "Florence Encounters" is a fabulous wealth of information, chalk-full on each area with restaurants, eateries, nightlife, markets, self-guided walks, 'must sees', hidden gems, artist's workshops, shops, logistics, maps, lodging ideas and the history of what you are looking at ...get to know more of Florence than museums and churches....OR ... you could head out to Pisa (go early in the morning, get back to Florence by early afternoon) and view these stunning other-wordly pieces of architecture in a field of green grass .....

California
Level Contributor
12,790 posts
56 reviews
7. Re: Help with Florence itinerary

<<<"The dishes have to be "done". The Uffizi does not.>>>"..... super great line, Venerosi...

Edited: 02 August 2018, 07:14
Edmond, Oklahoma
8 posts
8. Re: Help with Florence itinerary

Thank you Chester9cat! That sounds more up our alley!

seattle
Level Contributor
168 posts
54 reviews
9. Re: Help with Florence itinerary

I would skip Pisa. I agree with Venerosi. The Accademia is not just David. You want to savor the art! We found the Bargello Museum fascinating. Florence is just a wonderful walking city. The local markets are very enjoyable especially Sant Ambrogio.

Finland
Level Contributor
1,914 posts
87 reviews
10. Re: Help with Florence itinerary

>>The dishes have to be "done". The Uffizi does not.<<

Agree with Chester, well said Venerosi! I reckon this could be a book title. Or a long article in the paper. 😊

Reply to: Help with Florence itinerary
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted