We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

San Gimignano afternoon visit?

Orlando, Florida
8 posts
Save Topic
San Gimignano afternoon visit?

We’re arriving to Florence at 12 pm via train from Venice We want to see San Gimignano . Once our train arrives in Florence should we drive & head to San Gimignano right after?

We would get to San Gimignano around 1 pm or so I believe . At the time is San Gimignano heavily crowded?

Or should we head to San Gimignano the next morning?

We want to try and avoid heavy crowds there

Best Seller
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
7,346 Reviews
from US$ 107.60*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Day Trip with Transport...
783 Reviews
from US$ 107.60*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,390 Reviews
from US$ 107.60*
6 replies to this topic
Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
3,523 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: San Gimignano afternoon visit?

SG is very crowded from 10 until 16 I think. We spent a few nights in a hotel there a couple of years ago and in the evenings it was lovely.

Orlando, Florida
8 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: San Gimignano afternoon visit?

I thought about spending the night there but don’t think we will be able to . I thought maybe we will maximize our time if we go right after we get off the train In Florence and hopefully avoid heavy crowds in the afternoon

Orlando, Florida
8 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: San Gimignano afternoon visit?

Also we will be there 2nd week of October so I’m not sure if that’s a very busy time of year for that area

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,806 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: San Gimignano afternoon visit?

Second week of October would certainly be quieter than, say, now but still expect crowds for it is so popular. Also, the narrow medieval lanes and passageways that make the town so charming (along, that is, with those extraordinary towers) can’t handle crowds well so it can feel absolutely packed even with just a few coach loads of people. If you are not visiting on a weekend (when it is even busier with Italian weekending tourists) personally I would risk it for it is definitely worth seeing and there is more to the town than what at first appears to be little more than a superficial tourist trap. If you can get there by 8.30 / 9 latest you will have some head start on the first rush of tour buses. You can explore the town fairly well including climbing a tower, going inside the collegiata in a couple of hours.

Lismore, Australia
Level Contributor
3,144 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: San Gimignano afternoon visit?

if you're train arrives at midday and you're driving (hiring a car) I'd be thinking towards 3pm to san gimignano..it should be easier to find a parking spot..so that's one plus..imo it will still be fairly busy but not so as to detract from the experience

Edited: 03 August 2018, 01:41
Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
207 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: San Gimignano afternoon visit?

I think it would be better to go the next day in the morning. Less crowded than the afternoon. I do agree staying the night would be great if you could

Reply to: San Gimignano afternoon visit?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted