We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip to Rome

Lake City, Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
16 reviews
Day trip to Rome

Any recommendations on a day trip to Rome? Viator has one but no recent reviews and the ones I’ve read don’t sound very positive. I’d like to see the Sistine Chapel, and other than that probably the hop on hop off bus. Should I just do everything independently?

Best Seller
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
7,504 Reviews
from US$ 103.10*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,450 Reviews
from US$ 103.10*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Day Trip with Transport...
11 replies to this topic
CA
Level Contributor
11,362 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Day trip to Rome

Yes, but not the bus. Train time is 1.5 hours.

Ocean City, MD
Level Contributor
12,586 posts
8 reviews
2. Re: Day trip to Rome

www.trenitalia.com and the private train competitor www.italotreno.it

Firenze S.M. Novella to Roma Termini, you can then take the Metro (1.50) to the Cipro Musei Vaticani stop or Ottaviano stop.

https:/…mapvatican.gif

The official website for buying skip the ticket line tickets and/or tours of the Museums: mv.vatican.va

If you book a tour, you can then exit through the access door directly to St. Peter's Basilica. It's a 15 minute or so walk around the wall between the entrance/exit of the Museums and St. Peter's Square.

The HOHO bus(es) in Rome are not worth it, they can not go down the pedestrianized streets where you'll find Piazza Navona, Pantheon, Campo di'Fiori or Trevi Fountain.

http://www.aviewoncities.com/maps/rome.htm

Lake City, Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
16 reviews
3. Re: Day trip to Rome

Thank you for the info!

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
12,121 posts
565 reviews
4. Re: Day trip to Rome

This is one City where a day trip would be a darn shame... but what to do if you have no choice.

HoHo is a waste of time, IMO. Viator is a consolidator. They sell you nothing of their own.

Try surfing onto RomeWalks or Through Eternity for what they have to offer in terms of small group or even private tours. This may be where your money is.

Destination Expert
for Florence
Level Contributor
3,019 posts
6 reviews
5. Re: Day trip to Rome

I think it's a dreadful idea. You will spend a lot of time getting to and from and very little time seeing much of anything.

We did it once, because a son of ours had only a few days to spend in Italy, and because we had a unique opportunity: There was a national strike. the entire country was shut down. We drove to Rome on the A-1 -- with no other traffic on the road at all, parked in the Pope's parking space, walzed into the Vatican, and had it almost entirely to ourselves. There were the three of us and a German couple sharing the Sistine Chapel -- and all the other gems the Vatican has to offer.

It's hard to believe you will have luck like ours, and I wouldn't plan on a daytrip to Rome without such luck.

Edited: 19 April 2018, 02:30
Finland
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
71 reviews
6. Re: Day trip to Rome

>>There were the three of us and a German couple sharing the Sistine Chapel<<

That is amazing! Almost like winning a small lottery. :)

Destination Expert
for Florence
Level Contributor
3,019 posts
6 reviews
7. Re: Day trip to Rome

What do you mean "small"?

Finland
Level Contributor
1,689 posts
71 reviews
8. Re: Day trip to Rome

First I didn't write "small" but then I added it in case someone comes and says they'll rather take 90 million euros. 😀😀

Destination Expert
for Florence
Level Contributor
3,019 posts
6 reviews
9. Re: Day trip to Rome

I think the odds are better on winning the 90 million.

Lake City, Florida
Level Contributor
17 posts
16 reviews
10. Re: Day trip to Rome

Ok thanks for info 👍

Reply to: Day trip to Rome
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted