We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting from UK to Cortona - easiest way?

London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Topic
Getting from UK to Cortona - easiest way?

Hello all,

I am travelling to Cortona in May this year from the UK and wondering what is my best option. What I've worked out so far:

- I will be travelling from Nottingham, though it's not a big deal to fly from London or anywhere else.

- I could fly to Rome, and then get the train to Cortona on the Florence line, but taxis from airport to the train station will be very expensive judging on past experience?

- Other option is fly to Florence (I've worked out I have to change in Zurich, but that's not a big deal) and train it to Cortona (shorter journey than from Rome).

Basically my question is will it be easier from Rome or Florence airport to get to Cortona? I think it would be Ciampino in Rome (Ryanair).

I don't want to hire a car.

Thanks!!

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,947 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Getting from UK to Cortona - easiest way?

Consider a direct flight to Pisa, for example Ryanair from EMA or Easyjet from Luton. Pisa is 30 minutes longer on direct airport buses to very near the main Florence train station than is Florence airport, but that's a small price to pay to avoid an indirect flight. There are also some direct trains from Pisa Airport train station to Florence, though more often you must change trains at Pisa Centrale five minutes away.

If you want to go via Rome, consider Jet2 from Leeds-Bradford or Manchester as they fly to Fiumicino which has direct Leonardo Express trains to Termini station for your onward train.

Firenze
Level Contributor
557 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Getting from UK to Cortona - easiest way?

I would fly to Rome and take the train to Cortona, not along the Florence line but along the Assisi-Perugia line, a regional train that takes 2 hours but will get you straight there. If you take the faster train you have to go to Arezzo and then change, and the fastest trains don't stop, they just go Rome-Florence.

I have taken a taxi from rome airport to the train station; i don't recall the price, maybe 25 euros? There may be an airport transfer bus too, you could ask on the Rome forum.

I would not fly to Pisa because it's 1 or 1.5 hours pisa-florence, plus 1.5 hours florence-camucia, plus a bus up the hill camicia cortona.

Flying into Florence would be fine, but it's probably cheaper into Rome. From Florence airport you'd take the airport transfer bus (5 euro) to the train station and from there, the regional train (runs hourly) to Camucia (1.5 hours on train, about 8 euro), and the bus up the hill to cortona.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
29,947 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Getting from UK to Cortona - easiest way?

Use http://trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html to work out timings yourself.

Enter "Fiumicino Airport" or "Pisa Airport" for these,, and "Cortona" for Camucia-Cortona train station, or "Terontola" for the other Cortona train station.

From Pisa airport to Florence the bus will sometimes save time on the train. pisa-airport.com/aeroporto_di_pisa_194.html

Taking into account times in England, where East Midlands Airport is by far your nearest airport, I think Pisa is by far the quickest route from Nottingham. But unfortunately some flights from EMA arrive there too late for onward travel.

4. Re: Getting from UK to Cortona - easiest way?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 August 2010, 09:50