We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cortona rental

Ely, Minnesota
Level Contributor
318 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Cortona rental

We are looking for an apartment or house to rent that is close enough to walk to Cortona, but easily accessible so that we can take day trips to other towns without too much trouble. I'm assuming that means we want to be staying outside the city walls since we will have a car and don't want to negotiate driving through town every time we want to leave. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
1,250 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cortona rental

The parking lots are pretty good in Cortona. A pretty good map that shows the parking areas is here: www.cortonaweb.net/eng/mappe/index.php#

The A2-ish area is where a large portion of the restaurants are.

If you decide to rent something a little further away, the parking is much easier in the evenings when the day trippers leave. If you rent more in town, I would still park the car out in the lots in the evenings and not drive within the walls unless you really need to. Some places may not have car access directly either.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
87,487 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cortona rental

Just in case you do not already know, Cortona is at the top of a very long, steep hill. Be careful to know what you are letting yourselves in for with a "walk to Cortona".

Ely, Minnesota
Level Contributor
318 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cortona rental

THANK YOU!!! This map is great! I have never been able to figure out where the walls are. Even on google maps I couldn't tell.

Now I know whey so many places refer to "being at the base" of Cortona. I will carefully check out wording of "within walking distance". Thank you!

whg
california
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cortona rental

There are quite a few very good properties for rent within the walls of Cortona. This website lists them if you care to look under the heading Tuscany Cortona. Parking is not allowed within the walls of the town however there is plenty of parking around the perimeter which is within 5 mins walking distance to the main attractions including accommodation. Also the bus leaves from the Piazza Garibaldi every twenty minutes or so and drops you right outside the railway station in Camucia for just one euro, with trains to Rome and Florence and everywhere in between.

Firenze
Level Contributor
557 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cortona rental

I concur with the others; the parking is around the city walls and FREE and abundant. You could stay at a rental inside the city walls of cortona and never be more than 5 minutes away from your car; the question will be if you're on the top or bottom end of town. Aim for stuff at the bottom, near via Guelfa, if you want less of a hike.

I suggest staying inside the town because it's marvellous to wake up in the quiet pedestrian area and stroll out for breakfast at the bar, to buy some bread at the excellent bakery, and say hi to everyone (okay, i'm getting nostalgic). Grab the car for food shopping in nearby camucia and for visits to any other area/town in tuscany.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
1,342 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cortona rental

Stayed at apartment San Benedetto last year for a week. Was just inside Port Bifora third lane on the right. We had no trouble getting a park in the free carpark when we returned each evening Had wonderful views and was just up from the main piazza. There`s a bit more detail on the cortona forum.

whg
california
Level Contributor
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cortona rental

There is a house that can be rented located on Vicolo Venuti which is also at the bottom of the town like Via Guelfa but nearer to Piaza Garibaldi where you can pick up the bus for the train station in Camucia. The house has a patio with a great view of the valley. You could actually spend a whole week in Cortona without venturing outside the town. It is lively and charming and the restaurants are great.

Ely, Minnesota
Level Contributor
318 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cortona rental

Thank you so much, everyone! I really appreciate your suggestions and I'm sure they'll help others, as well!

Connecticut
Level Contributor
20 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cortona rental

We stayed at the same property 3 times. It is on the curvy road up to Cortona and we did walk into town (but it was a hefty walk). I liked being outside because it was easy to get to our car, load and unload stuff, we had a pool, and when we wanted to go into town, we always drove and parked with ease. I enjoyed the city very much.

10. Re: Cortona rental

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2010, 11:49