We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ack! Is Val d Orcia Not Beautiful In September???

Bombay, India
Level Contributor
405 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Ack! Is Val d Orcia Not Beautiful In September???

I’ve been reading some conflicting reports that the Val d Orcia region is not so pretty in September? The oft repeated phrase was that it seemed like endless ‘clods of dirt’. Whilst I realize that Spring it perhaps the best time to visit this region, currently I only have the option of visiting in September or October. I had my heart set on Montepulciano as a base town. My question is this... I know that the Chianti region sees some autumn & harvest colours in Sept / Oct. Would this be a better option, given my constricted time frame. What is Val d Orcia really like in September? ‘Clods of dirt’ doesn’t sound too appealing... any advice?

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,440 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Ack! Is Val d Orcia Not Beautiful In September???

How does this look, early to mid September

www.nickbooth.id.au/Europe09/Pienza.htm

…blogspot.com/2009/09/tuscany-beautiful.html

Plus of course, the nearby Crete Senese has the most wonderful soils, in multiple shades that are an absolute delight.

I have never failed to marvel at the harvest, the ploughed soil, the green fields at whatever time we have been, ranging from late spring to autumn

Bombay, India
Level Contributor
405 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ack! Is Val d Orcia Not Beautiful In September???

Hi, Lynn... Lovely pictures... but there does seem to be miles of brown... if you had to choose between the Chianti Region [maybe Greve] & Val d Orcia [Montepulciano] specifically for a September / October stay, which would it be for you? Also, if you could pick any five nights in September or October to be in Tuscany, which would they be? All suggestions are early awaited. Thank you!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
25,440 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ack! Is Val d Orcia Not Beautiful In September???

The ground had been all ploughed for the autumn sowing. The shades of soil were amazing.

My heart is around Montepulciano rather than the Chianti area, but I doubt I could articulate why. But as you could see, the grapes were just about to be harvested at that time, after which all the vines will start to lose their leaves.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,685 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ack! Is Val d Orcia Not Beautiful In September???

Great pictures Lynn -- I am spending a couple of weeks in Montepulciano in September with a private tiny terrace overlooking the Val d Orcia -- so I am reassured by your photos.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,388 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Ack! Is Val d Orcia Not Beautiful In September???

Not beautiful? You've got to be kidding! Our last 3 trips to Italy have included stays in Val d'Orcia in September and October. The countryside is a breathtaking palette of golds, browns, a few greens thrown in, and the long rays of the afternoon and setting sun really emphasizes it. I think you'll love it as we do.

Los Angeles...
Destination Expert
for Venice, Provence-Alpes-Cote d'Azur
Level Contributor
9,735 posts
510 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ack! Is Val d Orcia Not Beautiful In September???

Our two trips to Val d'Orcia were during September (2007) and October (2004). The views were breathtaking with miles and miles of soil, rolled bales of hay, and those gorgeous Tuscan villas and Cypress trees. We will likely be returning in September/October 2012. It is a lovely season to visit.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
25,685 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ack! Is Val d Orcia Not Beautiful In September???

burnt Siena, raw umber --- the colors of Siena and Umbria -- so I guess September sounds just right

Bombay, India
Level Contributor
405 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ack! Is Val d Orcia Not Beautiful In September???

Thanks, guys! I worry too much about everything... trying to create the 'perfect' holiday experience... so September it is... although I have to ask, between September & October, which would you choose. Give me your first preference for the best week in these two months... eternally grateful... : )

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
6,972 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ack! Is Val d Orcia Not Beautiful In September???

Where on earth have you heard that it seemed like "endless clods of dirt" and you've heard it repeatedly?!? Of course it's beautiful in September, it didn't even look too bad yesterday on a miserable wet day with several fields partially flooded. It's beautiful year round but it changes daily, which is a great part of the charm. Personally, I'd be wary of trying to create the perfect holiday experience for there are just too many factors you have to key into the equation. However, you have a slightly stronger chance of less rain in September than in October but you'd be very fortunate not to see any at all, and late summer storms can result in monsoon-like heavy rain though rarely for more than a day. The earlier you come in Sept, the stronger the feel of summer. The later you leave it, the more autumnal it becomes.

10. Re: Ack! Is Val d Orcia Not Beautiful In September???

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 22 October 2012, 00:46