We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Should I Split Time in Tuscany?

San Dimas...
Level Contributor
283 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Should I Split Time in Tuscany?

Hello TA experts. I am planning our trip for Sept/Oct 2020 for our 40th anniversary and have been stalking the forums gathering as much information as I can. My question, I really love the idea of staying in an agriturismo possibly near Pienza or Montelpuciano and I am thinking of this for about 5 nights to explore the southern region. Then I was thinking of moving to the northern area, possibly Castellini in Chianti or Greve for another 4 nights before moving on to Florence. We will have a car and plan to drop it off upon arriving in Florence. Does this make sense to have some good quality time for exploring the region or should we choose 1 base? TIA for all your wisdom and advice. Happy travels!

Best Seller
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
7,341 Reviews
from US$ 107.60*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Day Trip with Transport...
782 Reviews
from US$ 107.60*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,390 Reviews
from US$ 107.60*
8 replies to this topic
Sudbury...
Level Contributor
8,409 posts
1,090 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Should I Split Time in Tuscany?

I think it makes perfect sense! We had done pretty much the same three times.

Here is the loveliest hotel from our recent trip, recommended by the most amazing Destination Expert for Tuscany, lastraniera. Very close to Montepulciano and Pienza.

Relais Villa Grazianella - Fattoria del Cerro (the details are in my review and photos- see the link below).

We had the time of our lives eating in their top-notch restaurant and drinking fabulous wines of Fattoria del Cerro.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-…

Edited: 08 August 2018, 06:32
Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
632 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Should I Split Time in Tuscany?

Yes, makes perfect sense and avoids backtracking- we also used two bases Siena (for the Chianti area, San Gimignano, Monteriggioni,, Volterra etc.) and Montalcino (for Val D'orcia, if you have time you can also explore Bolsena and some real gems like Sorano, Pitigliano further south). Also some very useful web resources that helped our planning, in addition to this forum : https://www.discovertuscany.com/, www.chainti.com and https:/….

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,793 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Should I Split Time in Tuscany?

Makes perfect sense to me too, a nice itinerary. Enjoy the planning!

San Dimas...
5 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Should I Split Time in Tuscany?

Thanks to each of you for your replies! I loved your review Noraatc, I think sounds like the perfect spot!! I had also considered Siena as another 2nd base option but I didn’t know if it would bebetter to explore the Chianti area from one of the smaller towns? Any recommendations or thoughts on this?

Anuj, may I ask where you stayed in Siena? How long did you stay in each base?

Thanks lastraniera for the good wishes. It might seem crazy for some to plan this far out but that’s half the fun. I always tell my husband, “Just let me plan a trip every couple years and I’ll be happy.”

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,793 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Should I Split Time in Tuscany?

I’ve written before on this board that if ever I have a stay vacation not travelling more than an hour or so from home I can’t think of anywhere better than up in the Chianti. So beautiful yet scenically quite different to around here. If you can, I would definitely split your time staying both in the Val d’Orcia area and in a Chianti town (Radda or Panzano would be my choice) for two lovely yet subtly diverse experiences. If you can also squeeze in an overnight staying in Siena city centre itself that would make the visit to central / southern Tuscany quite perfect.

Utrecht, The...
Level Contributor
3,516 posts
155 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Should I Split Time in Tuscany?

We liked Chianti (stayed in Greve a few years ago) and Siena both. It depends on your personal preference if you want to stay in a small place like Greve or Radda or a larger town like Siena.

In June we stayed in a very nice hotel in Siena just inside the walls with parking around the corner called Chiostro del Carmine. It is inside the ZTL zone but you can drive in and out once a day without fines because they will communicate your licence plate to the police.

Mumbai, India
Level Contributor
632 posts
426 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Should I Split Time in Tuscany?

<<Anuj, may I ask where you stayed in Siena? How long did you stay in each base?>>

We stayed at the wonderful Antica Residenza Cicogna which I also reviewed on TA here https://www.tripadvisor.in/ShowUserReviews-g… A base in any of the charming Chianti towns (https:/…traveling-through-chianti.html) could work too, as others have suggested.

We spent 3 nights each in Montalcino and Siena. I would've liked more time in the glorious Val D'Orcia, so the 5 nights in your plan is better.

Edited: 08 August 2018, 16:16
San Dimas...
5 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Should I Split Time in Tuscany?

Great info everyone! Can I ask lastraniera, do you have recommendations for places you like in either Radda or Panzano? Also, do you think it works breaking it up with southern area 5 days, Siena 1 night, Chianti 3 days and then Florence for a couple days? We will be doing Rome before Tuscany for 5 days. I really don’t mind hotel changes but I know generally the wisdom is to stay put.

Reply to: Should I Split Time in Tuscany?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted