We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tuscany day trip from Orvieto

DC
Level Contributor
59 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Tuscany day trip from Orvieto

Hello,

We are looking for a nice day trip suggestion in Tuscany from our base in Orvieto. The last time we were there we visited Spoleto, Montepulciano, and Civita di Bagnoregio. We will have our own car and have never to been to Siena or Assisi. Would you recommend these towns? Can they be done in one day? We are a very active family of 4 and would have spent several days relaxing pool side in Orvieto. We are looking for a town with plenty of charm and history but not too overwhelming or crowded (even though it will be mid-late August). Please let me know your thoughts or if you recommend other towns and why. Thanks in advance!

Best Seller
Tuscany 1-Day Sightseeing Tour with...
7,333 Reviews
from US$ 107.00*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Full-Day Tour with Lunch...
781 Reviews
from US$ 107.00*
Best Seller
Florence to Cinque Terre Hiking Day...
3,380 Reviews
from US$ 107.00*
6 replies to this topic
Spokane, Washington
Level Contributor
91 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tuscany day trip from Orvieto

I recommend Pitigliano!

Knoxville, Tennessee
Level Contributor
19 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tuscany day trip from Orvieto

You might note that Assisi is in Umbria, not Tuscany. Siena is pretty far north of Orvieto. If you liked Montepulciano, you might try Montalcino or Pienza. Both of those are much closer to Orvieto. FWIW, I like all of them.

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
495 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tuscany day trip from Orvieto

Southern Tuscany places like Pitigliano. Lago di Bolsena. Bolsena itself as a small town deserves your time. Montefiascone certainly has a reason to visit this place. Chiesa di Santa Cristina. Maybe Todi and Terni in Umbria, Narni and Amelia are two small twin towns in Umbria. Viterbo for sure. Pitigliano would be a first choice too. Tarquinia has much to keep you there for a day - Necropoli di Monterozzi, Museo Nazionale Tarquiniese, Chiesa di Santa Maria in Castello, Civitavevecchia is south on the coast but far enough to make the distance large. Yet there is a Museo nazionale archeologico with Tuscania to keep you busy. Hope this helps.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,777 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tuscany day trip from Orvieto

Picking up on the plenty of charm and not overwhelmingly crowded, in addition to the excellent suggestions already put forward consider the very pretty Umbrian towns that straddle the Tuscan border, I'm thinking Città delle Pieve, Paciano and Panicale, all slightly off the main tourist radar but very beautiful and interesting to explore. Good restaurants too in all. Two more small gems just over in Tuscany and that’s Cetona and next door San Casciano dei Bagni. Again, not exactly places that automatically roll off the tongue of even regular visitors but both too pretty for words and, again, home to some of the best places to eat in southern Tuscany. Obviously, both Siena and Assisi are must sees and rightly deserve their reputations but both will be absolutely packed with tourists, and sadly Siena doesn’t manage the mass tourism it now sees well. I would leave both for another trip at a different time of year.

DC
Level Contributor
59 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tuscany day trip from Orvieto

THANK you all for the wonderful tips and advice. We are leaning towards a relaxing day in Pienza and saving Siena/Assisi for a future trip. Thanks again.

Bay Village, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,296 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tuscany day trip from Orvieto

Pienza would have been my first choice! Latte di Luna is a wonderful place for lunch!

portalepienza.it/Siti_commerciali/ristoranti…

Edited: 09 August 2018, 01:15
Reply to: Tuscany day trip from Orvieto
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted