We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Staying in San Gimignano

Laguna Beach...
Level Contributor
31 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Staying in San Gimignano

We will be 3 ladies traveling in October flying into Florence. We have found a beautiful property in San Gimignano and are thinking of staying there and renting a car to explore the region. My question is, would it be best to arrive in Florence, take a train somewhere closer to SG and renting a car there or is it relatively easy to rent a car at the airport and navigate our way out of town? Also, I assume if we want to spend a day or two in Florence we should probably just take the train in since parking and city driving could be a problem?

We were originally planning to stay in Florence but had difficulty finding an apartment with 3 nice bedrooms hence our possible switch to SG. We will be staying in Italy for a total of 2 weeks.

Best Seller
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
7,341 Reviews
from US$ 107.60*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Day Trip with Transport...
782 Reviews
from US$ 107.60*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,390 Reviews
from US$ 107.60*
6 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33,435 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Staying in San Gimignano

Car rental Florence airport www.autoeurope.com

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

Non EU citizens require an International Driving permit for Italy, contact the AAA.

Be aware of traffic restrictions and ZTL areas in Italy

www.autoeurope.com/italy-ztl-zones

Buses via Poggibonsi, San Gimignano to Firenze www.busfox.com/timetable

www.discovertuscany.com www.visitflorence.com

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
15,146 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Staying in San Gimignano

Your plan is sound.

Use a consolidator.....Autoeurope.... for your vehicle rental at the Florence Airport.

You are very correct about not driving in Florence.

Note that you can see all that San Gimignano has to offer in about 2 hours.

But it makes an OK base to explore rural Tuscany.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,798 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Staying in San Gimignano

Very easy indeed to find your way from Florence airport to San Gim, and a day trip to visit the city later is simple too as you merely drive down to Poggibonsi (20 mins) park for free at the station and hop on the train. Whilst in this area do ensure you visit Volterra and, on another day, Siena with a 15 mins stop at Monteriggioni on the way back. A nice day out in the Chianti works well too.

CA
Level Contributor
10,944 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Staying in San Gimignano

We get our cars by calling up Autoeurope, who in this case would recommend which agency to use based upon the type of vehicle desired and price. At the Florence Airport, a shuttle to the rental complex at Via Palagio degli Spini, a few minutes away, leaves from the left side of the little building in the car park. Arriving you enter the big building and take a number, so stand by the door.

Read this about driving; be sure the driver[s] get the IDP:

http://driventoit.blogspot.com/

Driving to SG will take about an hour. Use www.viasmichelin.com for route planning; get their handy smartphone app.

Laguna Beach...
Level Contributor
31 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Staying in San Gimignano

Thanks everyone for all the helpful information. I will look at each website you have mentioned. We do intend to explore the region as much as possible and worry just a bit about driving in the hills and parking in the proper areas. I will study the rules and hope for the best.

Lastly, we plan to make this trip the end of October, first of November. I've noticed that companies offering wine tasting tours only offer them until around the 3rd week of October. I assume the harvest is over by then but is wine tasting out of season at that time? Hopefully the hills will still be beautiful with fall colors.

York, United Kingdom
Level Contributor
416 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Staying in San Gimignano

You might find taking the alternative road out of San Gimignano to Certaldo for the train would be better. Poggibonsi can get very busy and parking by the station can be short supply. Certaldo is on the same line as Poggibonsi so same trains, easier to drive into and parking much easier to find

Reply to: Staying in San Gimignano
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted