We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Road trip

Gateshead
Level Contributor
436 posts
30 reviews
Road trip

Hi all looking to do a road trip around Tuscany. But know really what areas to visit and stay. We're looking for places of interest... places with lakes, sightseeing areas also places to visit on a evening with just a few bars and restaurants. Thanks

Best Seller
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
7,504 Reviews
from US$ 103.10*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,450 Reviews
from US$ 103.10*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Day Trip with Transport...
9 replies to this topic
South East England...
Level Contributor
5,644 posts
4 reviews
1. Re: Road trip

If not already aware, do make sure that you know about the limited traffic zones (ZTLs) which operate in most towns and cities in Italy: https:/…Driving.In.Italy.html

mesh

Sudbury...
Level Contributor
8,800 posts
1,175 reviews
2. Re: Road trip

My favorite place in Tuscany to stay is Val D’Orcia, near Montepulciano and Siena.

We stayed at the Relais Villa Grazianella on the vineyards of Fattoria del Cerro and were blissfully happy with our choice. Their restaurant is just second to none - we did not want to eat anywhere else as pretty much everyone who stayed at this beautiful hotel at the same time with us.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-…

Gateshead
Level Contributor
436 posts
30 reviews
3. Re: Road trip

Hi mesh. We were only going to use the hire car to get near the big towns and then get public transport in to the towns. Any more advice would be very grateful

South East England...
Level Contributor
5,644 posts
4 reviews
4. Re: Road trip

We've just returned from our extended annual summer holiday in Lucca and really like the Garfagnana region to the north of there: www.turismo.garfagnana.eu/en/territorio.html

mesh

Gateshead
Level Contributor
436 posts
30 reviews
5. Re: Road trip

I take it you used a car to get round that area. How did you the ZTL zones in the area

South East England...
Level Contributor
5,644 posts
4 reviews
6. Re: Road trip

We always drive from the UK to Lucca, so yes we use our car to get to the Garfagnana region. The ZTLs are only in the centres of towns/cities as they are in place to protect the historic buildings etc.

mesh

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
9,159 posts
7 reviews
7. Re: Road trip

Tuscany is a very large region, quite diverse scenically and jam packed full of beautiful and interesting places to visit including many well known sights and far more less well known. I personally find it impossible to say you must go here or there as opposed to somewhere else and feel the first thing you should be doing is buying a guide book. I'm not exaggerating but it's a bit like someone saying "I want to go to England, what should I see?" Where would you start? They seem to be going out of fashion today but guide books are absolutely invaluable to the first time visitor about to plan a trip. Many cut the region up into different areas listing a succession of places in a common neighbourhood. Mesh mentions the Garfagnana up in the north. Nora the Val d'Orcia about 3 hours' drive to the south. In between you have the Chianti hills and towns such as Pisa, Lucca, Florence, Siena. Another consideration is how are you going to get to Tuscany from the north east of England. Are there flights to, say, Pisa from your nearest airport? Often, it can be easier to fly into Rome FCO. There's a lot of research required so I would urge you please to go on-line to Amazon and order a book such as the DK Eyewitness guide as that's your best place to start, then come back here to tweak itineraries and obtain advice as to where to stay, etc.

Gateshead
Level Contributor
436 posts
30 reviews
8. Re: Road trip

We are looking to fly into Pisa and looking for places on interest

Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
14,300 posts
172 reviews
9. Re: Road trip

You definitely need to do some reading. Check out here: https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Tourism-g187893-T… and Wikipedia, but a comprehensive guide book puts things into order.

When are you thinking of coming? How long will you have? What are your interests?

Reply to: Road trip
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted