We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help me choose between two lodgings?

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
34 reviews
Help me choose between two lodgings?

Hi there,

My adult daughters and I will be arriving Florence on Sept. 4th Because of certain flying issues my daughter has, we will be taking a train from Paris (ugh) and won't arrive Florence until either approx 5:25pm (if we take the 6:37am SNCF train, another ugh...) or until 7:41pm (if we take the 9:41 SNCF train)

If we arrive at 7:41pm, I'm pretty sure we won't be able to rent a car that night, and we are not staying in Florence, we are staying in the countryside.

I have two reservations for 4 nights and need to pick between them. (Note, we really don't want to stay one night in Florence as the whole packing/unpacking thing really takes a bite out of the enjoyment of travel, IMO... but it may end up being an option, I guess)

The two reservations we have:

Salvadonica in San Casciano in Val di Pesa: Beautiful triple suite for 3 people, nice view from restaurant terrace, highly rated, only 35 mins approx from Florence S.M.N. Not nearly the agriturismo experience we were originally looking for, but convenient and pretty. The hotel has already responded back to me with the offer of a transfer from S.M.N. if we'd like, then they can arrange a rental car in the morning.

Segreto di Pietrafitta in San Gimignano: Nice triple room for 3 people, gorgeous views over the towers of San Gimignano, highly rated, just about an hour from S.M.N. Closer to what we were looking for in experience and location. However, they haven't responded back to me after several queries (tried translating to Italian the 2nd time) with whether they can arrange a transfer, or if there are rental cars available nearby if we end up arriving too late to rent a car in Florence. Also, looks a little difficult to find? Slightly less expensive than Salvadonica.

We plan to visit Florence for one day only, and spend the rest of our time touring Tuscany scenery, with maybe a wine tasting as well. From our Tuscany stay, we need to take a train to Salerno for the next portion of our stay, so there is the logistics of that to take into consideration as well.

Which lodging would you pick of the two? I'm leaning towards Salvadonica even though it's not an agriturismo...

7 replies to this topic
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
10,184 posts
140 reviews
1. Re: Help me choose between two lodgings?

"If we arrive at 7:41pm, I'm pretty sure we won't be able to rent a car that night, "

Why not? most car rental agencies are open until later, just check with the agency you are renting from.

As to your stay, why don't you read the reviews? where people who have stayed there will give you their impressions. Otherwise this site is full of people that just like to add to their count of posts and you might not get an honest or experienced opinion.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
34 reviews
2. Re: Help me choose between two lodgings?

No, most of the car rental agencies nearby the train station close between 6pm and 7pm. I would have to go to the airport, I believe, to rent a car after 6pm. This may not be a bad option, but will add even more time onto the day and pretty much guarantee we won't arrive to our lodging until after dark, something I didn't want to do.

I've read the reviews on both lodgings, and both are very highly rated. They both will be perfectly fine, except Salvadonica is situated in a more suburban type area and is more of a hotel, where Segreto di Pietrafitta is in the heart of the Tuscan countryside and is an agriturismo.

Sudbury...
Level Contributor
9,125 posts
1,199 reviews
3. Re: Help me choose between two lodgings?

Unfortunately, I cannot comment about your hotels (we stayed at delightful Relais Villa Grazianella close to Montepulciano), but with all due respect, post #1 is something I would ignore.

<<Otherwise this site is full of people that just like to add to their count of posts and you might not get an honest or experienced opinion.>>

All our fabulous hotels in Italy were recommended by the posters and Destination Experts on the Italy forum and we were never disappointed. The number of posts mean nothing for most of us, except for poster #1 perhaps.

ohio
Level Contributor
728 posts
14 reviews
4. Re: Help me choose between two lodgings?

"We plan to visit Florence for one day only, "

Since you plan on visiting Florence anyway, and the rental car time situation isn't the best, perhaps you should just stay in Florence that night, enjoy the next morning and afternoon there. Then pick up the car around 3 or 4 and drive to your countryside accommodations.

Strolling around Florence that first night sounds a lot better than driving possibly in the dark.

I know you said about unpacking and packing. That is up to you on how organized you could be for that one night.

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,640 posts
100 reviews
5. Re: Help me choose between two lodgings?

If the second one couldn’t be bothered to respond after several messages from you - even after you made the effort to translate - it does not bode well and i wouldn’t choose them.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
34 reviews
6. Re: Help me choose between two lodgings?

Yes, that's still a really good option and I'm weighing it.

I checked into the train schedules again, Daughters both think getting the first train out of Paris is advisable, especially as the transfer in Turin for the 9:41am train is only about 17 minutes (!!!)

So I booked the 6:37am train, arriving S.M.N. at 5:25pm. It give us approx 1.5hrs for the transfer in Turin. and allows us to get to either option for lodging hopefully before dark.

I did some checking and there is a Hertz location which is open until 7pm at Via Borgo Ognissanti 137/R, which is very close to the train station but frightening close to the restricted zones. There is also one at Via del Sansovino 53 - this one looks like a straight shot out of the city, but it closes at 6:30pm. Both have a car available that I can take one way and drop off in Salerno for the next leg of our trip.

Would it be easy and quick to grab a taxi out of the train station to the Via Del Sansovino location? It doesn't look very far, but probably not walkable in the amount of time we have.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,877 posts
34 reviews
7. Re: Help me choose between two lodgings?

Update, I did hear back from the second one, not even a half hour after I posted the opening post. I guess the translation helped, but they responded in perfect English, so maybe my original email just got lost.

Reply to: Help me choose between two lodgings?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted