We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hill towns easily walkable?

Auburn, Washington
Level Contributor
361 posts
6 reviews
Hill towns easily walkable?

Hi everyone, I apologize if this question sounds stupid. My parents and I want to go back to Italy next September of 2019 and want to see some hill towns. My mother got very ill back in 2015 and had to have her heart valve replaced and she also suffers from arthritis in her back. We went to Scandinavia last August and she was in a lot of pain walking all day. My question's are: Are many of the hill towns pretty walking accessible and also if we have a car does it take a lot of walking to get inside the towns? We read that the hill towns do not allow cars inside. I just want my mother to be comfortable walking and not too far distances and lots of hills inside the towns. Thanks!

Best Seller
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
7,444 Reviews
from US$ 106.00*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Day Trip with Transport...
802 Reviews
from US$ 106.00*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,421 Reviews
from US$ 106.00*
7 replies to this topic
Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,977 posts
7 reviews
1. Re: Hill towns easily walkable?

With careful planning several of them can be accessed by those with mobility issues. My aunt continued to visit us until she was 85, yet even though she was crippled with arthritis and a hip replacement that had disintegrated inside her, we managed to visit quite a few places together easily enough. Pienza is the easiest as the village is on the flat. Ditto very pretty San Quirico and next door Bagno Vignoni. (Technically not a hill town but a very picturesque village and definitely worth a visit if you are coming this way.) Montepulciano can also be enjoyed as some of the best architecture is at the top of the town concentrated on Piazza Grande, as is the cathedral, town hall and fortress. Drive up to the very top and park by the fortress itself from where it’s only a very slight incline of maybe 10m until you are on the flat. Cortona too can be enjoyed in the same way if, again, you drive up as far as you can go before hitting the ZTL, drop her off at Piazza Garibaldi by the bus stop and drive back down to park. At all of these towns you can see a great deal and certainly enjoy the atmosphere without too much exertion.

Auburn, Washington
Level Contributor
361 posts
6 reviews
2. Re: Hill towns easily walkable?

Grazie!!!! Just what I needed to hear!! Molto Bene!!

Level Contributor
3,247 posts
102 reviews
3. Re: Hill towns easily walkable?

Agree on above mentioned towns. I would steer clear of Panzano in chianti. Radda in Chianti is not completely flat but should be ok. Greve ia flat. Siena is hilly and large and car parks can be far away. San Gimigniano might be ok too but is a larger town so definitely a bit of walking involved. Car parks are generally relatively close by especially in the snalller towns.

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,977 posts
7 reviews
4. Re: Hill towns easily walkable?

What we used to do in Siena is drop her by Piazza Giaccomo Matteoti from where it is all downhill into Il Campo and then grab a cab back having found one in Piazza della Indipendenza or asked a restaurant to ring for one. Funnily enough, just the other day we bought something heavy in Siena so the shop put it on a trolley and pushed it up to the precise same spot where I waited with the item (a stone statue) whilst hubby went off to get the car. It reminded us both of the days when auntie was with us.

Saint Marys, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,950 posts
44 reviews
5. Re: Hill towns easily walkable?

Pienza is a very flat town and is a great place to visit. You can let your mother off near one of the entrances and then park the car to limit the amount she has to walk.

4 posts
6. Re: Hill towns easily walkable?

My mother has problems walking too and she enjoyed Anghiari, a lot. You can park at the main palazzo and there are lovely bars to have coffee and restaurants to eat. Arezzo region has some lovely towns, some are more flat, like Sansepolcro. Citerna is also pretty flat, once you park and go up the stairs. It is very small but very scenic. Arezzo itself is a beautiful city, a bit hilly, I don't know if she can manage such a long walk uphill. Good luck.

alaska
Destination Expert
for Siena
Level Contributor
1,885 posts
16 reviews
7. Re: Hill towns easily walkable?

I frequently travel with people with back issues in this area. We usually walk a little slower, stopping as one does to see things along the way. The person with the sore back then taxis back. Works well for us and we get to notice nice things we would just pass quickly by.

Reply to: Hill towns easily walkable?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted