We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Recommendations on Tuscany towns along the coast and villas

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
Recommendations on Tuscany towns along the coast and villas

Hi all,

We are travelling to Tuscany from La Spezia, and we want to end up in Florence so we can take the train to Rome. We are leaving La Spezia on the 3rd, and going to Rome in the morning on the 8th, so that leaves us with around 4.5 days in Tuscany. I'm thinking the last day can be in Florence, since we have to take the train the next day.

So with only 3.5 days, I was thinking 2.5 days along the coast and 1 day in the villa to visit wineries and hills.

Which Tuscan town along the coast would you recommend? Elba island seems nice, but I'm not sure if it's worth the travel.

Also, any recommendations on wineries in Chianti or Montepulciano?

I'm thinking about renting a car which would be better to get around in Tuscany. Would it be better to train to Pisa and rent there? Or another city?

Thanks in advance guys!

- Christina

2 replies to this topic
Australia
Level Contributor
4,724 posts
62 reviews
1. Re: Recommendations on Tuscany towns along the coast and villas

Christina, I think that in the time available you should keep it very simple. Travel by train to Florence. Accommodation there for the whole time, day trips out by bus or train if you become restless. Make a document with day trip options, but decide on them when you are there and you know the weather forecast... and you can tear yourself away from Florence.

Or, if you have an interest in art, consider two nights in Pietrasanta on the way to Florence, near a beach but a town with huge art history and current art activity.

mytravelintuscany.com/pietrasanta-the-little…

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
16 posts
2. Re: Recommendations on Tuscany towns along the coast and villas

It seems like taking the train to montepulciano from florence would take around 3 hours one-way.... This seems a bit long. What about staying halfway to the coast? Are there any relaxing towns along the coast that anyone would recommend?

Thanks guys.

Reply to: Recommendations on Tuscany towns along the coast and villas
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted