We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental cars during holidays

Northern Calfornia
Level Contributor
23 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Rental cars during holidays

Our short trip to Italy will take us from Florence>Tuscany>Rome. I planned a rental car for Tuscany. Unfortunately, we'll be there from 22 April to 25 April (Monday after Easter to Liberation Day). I've figured out the I can pick up a rental car at the Florence airport, but then noticed several rental places are closed on the 25th also. Worst case, I could return the car at the airport in Rome. We're staying in Montepulciano. Can someone suggest a better approach to this? It looks like I'd take the A90 to the airport, so at least I wouldn't have to drive in the city.

Best Seller
Tuscany in One Day Sightseeing Tour
7,330 Reviews
from US$ 106.50*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Day Trip with Transport...
780 Reviews
from US$ 106.50*
Best Seller
Cinque Terre Hiking Day Trip from...
3,380 Reviews
from US$ 106.50*
3 replies to this topic
Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
33,380 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rental cars during holidays

You can speak to www.autoeurope.com regarding drop off at Rome Termini

Route planner www.viamichelin.com

Non EU citizens require an International driving permit for Italy, contact the AAA.

Be aware of traffic restrictions and ZTL areas in Italy, read Top Questions "Driving in Tuscany"

www.autoeurope.com/italy-ztl-zones

Accommodation www.booking.com

www.discovertuscany.com www.italia.it/discover-italy www.rome.info www.timeout.com/rome

Montepulciano, Italy
Destination Expert
for Tuscany
Level Contributor
8,774 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rental cars during holidays

I have no idea what the A90 is but picking up a car at Rome FCO airport and driving to Montepulciano you certainly go nowhere near Rome city centre. Leaving the airport compound you join a link road (5 kms or so) that takes you to the Rome ring road (the GRA), you head in the direction of FIRENZE. Follow-up this until you reach junction 10 signposted A1 / Firenze, subject to traffic it can take anything between 25 - 45 mins. The A1 (Autosole) is the highway that runs along the spine of Italy linking Rome / Naples and that's what you need. Exit at Chiusi-Chianciano, follow signs to Montepulciano, 20 mins or so later you will be there. Easy.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
478 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rental cars during holidays

lastraniera, I think to OP is going the opposite way "Our short trip to Italy will take us from Florence>Tuscany>Rome."

and it seems is worried about rental car agencies being closed due to public holiday when he wants to return the car..................

Reply to: Rental cars during holidays
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted