We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trips from Palermo aside from cefalu

Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Day trips from Palermo aside from cefalu

Hello can anyone advise of a nice day trip from Palermo? We are going to stay in cefalu for a night anyway so any other suggestions? We will b using public transport and do not want to go to agrigento.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
18 replies to this topic
Belgrade, Serbia
Level Contributor
90 posts
131 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trips from Palermo aside from cefalu

Palermo is a great base for exploring, public transport options are outstanding. We've seen so many places from Palermo by using only buses and trains, never rented a car so far.

One of our best day trips is Trapani-Erice. Spectacular! Take the bus to Trapani, they're frequent enough, Segesta is the company you'll search for. When in Trapani, there's a public city bus that will take you to funivia station (I don't remember the number, we've asked people around the port where the station is and Segesta leaves you in the port anyway). The ride on cable car to Erice is something you cannot describe by words, and Erice itself is wonderful. Beautiful hilltop town with unique climate and atmosphere, lovely restaurants and narrow streets.

That's a suggestion number one.

Ans there're so many. That part of Sicily is wonderful.

Maybe consider a boat trip to Lo Zingaro and San Vito Lo Capo, I believe there're many from Palermo port.

And don't forget to have a splendid day! :)

Mentioned in this post
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Trapani
Trapani
Sicily, Italy
Erice
Erice
Sicily, Italy
Sicily
Sicily
Italy
San Vito lo Capo
San Vito lo Capo
Sicily, Italy
G M
Level Contributor
154 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trips from Palermo aside from cefalu

I second Trapani/Erice.

Mentioned in this post
Trapani
Trapani
Sicily, Italy
Erice
Erice
Sicily, Italy
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
13,852 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trips from Palermo aside from cefalu

If there is ever a "must see" then the Cathedrale at Monreale may be it. I did it as a day trip from Trapani, but I gather ii is even easier from Palermo. https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Attraction_Review…

Mentioned in this post
Trapani
Trapani
Sicily, Italy
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trips from Palermo aside from cefalu

Thanks! Do you think we can buy tickets on the day or did u purchase in advance? We will b going mid September. Thanks!

Edited: 06 August 2018, 00:58
Naples, Italy
Level Contributor
2,356 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trips from Palermo aside from cefalu

Besides the previous suggestions, I recommend:

- Bagheria, possibly the easiest daytrip from Palermo, yet overlooked by many tourists. Bagheria is a suburban locality where the most important aristocratic families had their summer villas, and some of them are visitable nowadays. Here you have a list of the villas: https:/… (Italian only, unluckily). Note that they're not open to the public as public museums but you should contact the present owners in order to arrange a visit. Villa Palagonia is a must (I'll be in Palermo as well in a few months and I have this gem on my bucket list).

- The island of Ustica, one of the most beautiful Sicilian lesser islands, easy to reach from Palermo;

- Last but not least, it's not properly a day trip, but I would also consider the Riserva Naturale di Capo Gallo, still in the municipality of Palermo but out of the hustle and the bustle of the Sicilian capital.

Mentioned in this post
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Villa Palagonia
Villa Palagonia
261 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Ustica
Ustica
448 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Nova Scotia
Destination Expert
for Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
13,852 posts
172 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trips from Palermo aside from cefalu

We visited Monreale in April and did not buy anything in advance. There is no admission to the actual Duomo. Be prepared to sit and just stare, then walk around and sit some more.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
1,12,080 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trips from Palermo aside from cefalu

Then it's Monreale.

It's too long on public transport to Erice.

And Bagheria isn't very viable as well as after you arrive in Bagheria via public transport, the villas are not easily reached as anyone who has done this would know.

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Erice
Erice
Sicily, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
1,12,080 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trips from Palermo aside from cefalu

There is no need to contact owners as the Villa Cattolica (Museo Guttuso) is open to the public, and the fabulous Villa Palagonia is as well.

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Cattolica
Cattolica
Province of Rimini, Italy
Villa Palagonia
Villa Palagonia
261 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
1,12,080 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Day trips from Palermo aside from cefalu

Salve Kuroneko_89,

Welcome when you visit Sicily!

Bagheria is not the easiest day trip from Palermo.

Surely that is Monreale by bus, and then Cefalù by train, but then also by bus,.

Mondello, Mount Pellegrino...

Bagheria is a very unattractive (ugly) suburb of Palermo.

Once you would arrive via public transport, the villas are not so easily reached, and especially without knowledge of the town.

The glorious days of rich families from Palermo with villas in Bagheria are long gone.

The Villa Patagonia is wonderful, really worth a visit, and so encompassed in everyday life today that this magnificent villa borders the residential with laundry hanging.

And surely see Villa Cattolica with everything Guttuso, and mesmerise his evolution from his arty as a boy (influenced by his father) to his later art, and wonder at the evolution of his mind and life.

Really the average tourist would skip Capo Gallo for so many more interesting and significant destinations that are more easily reached as well.

Vagabonda

Mentioned in this post
Palermo
Palermo
Sicily, Italy
Mondello
Mondello
Sicily, Italy
Villa Cattolica
Villa Cattolica
128 Reviews
Sicily, Italy
Liverpool, United...
Level Contributor
46 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Day trips from Palermo aside from cefalu

Thanks vagabonda super helpful!

Do u know if it’s possible to hire a car for the day? We may do this and go to erice as we are keen. The plan would b to pick up and drop off the same day as we will b staying in the city.

Reply to: Day trips from Palermo aside from cefalu
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted