We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Palermo Transportation Guidance

El Centro...
3 posts
1 review
Palermo Transportation Guidance

Following the request from Vagabonda, she is awesome and promptly replied to my questions. I am posting here for everyone's awareness:

My wife and I are visiting Palermo during early October and would love to explore around the island for as much as possible; we will be there fore 10 Days and I'm curious to know what is your advice to get around the city and the island in general. We would like to experience other places besides Palermo. We are thinking about hitting Bagheria, Catania or depending where destiny takes us. Should we rent a car or rely on Public transport? I read public transportation is not very reliable so I want the advice from a local. Thanks for your time.

1 reply
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
1,15,767 posts
1. Re: Palermo Transportation Guidance

Welcome to Sicily Mikes_1185, and it's lovely to see that you posted on the forums where everyone could benefit and participate, and where someone might share the need for the same information.

In cities such as Palermo, public transport is optimal.

You really wouldn't need, nor would you want to drive, or park in this city.

Palermo is really best explored on foot, but there's also a free shuttle in the historic centre, and also a Hop On and Hop Off bus, and then the local AMAT bus service.

Why have you decided on Bagheria as so few do?

Is it an ancestral town?

Bagheria is an unattractive Palermo suburb, but it's villas are magnificent.

And of course there's the fantastic Villa Cattolica with Renato Guttuso's art.

You also wouldn't want to drive in Bagheria, but the problem being that the villas are dispersed, and not convenient via public transport after arriving in town.

Consider perhaps a driver, or guide depending on your intent in Bagheria.

Are you departing from Catania?

Catania is a transport hub, and very convenient for day trips via public transport.

There's train and direct SAIS Autolinee bus service (really the bus is optimal) between Palermo and Catania.

Where else would you like to visit?

Best regards,

Vagabonda

Reply to: Palermo Transportation Guidance
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted