We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Luxury Hotel

Bishops Stortford...
Level Contributor
208 posts
16 reviews
Best Luxury Hotel

Hi

Can anyone advise on a luxury hotel near the Old Town please. We have visited before but this is a very special trip & I am at a loss looking at the available properties!

Many thanks

Nicci

25 replies to this topic
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
1,15,185 posts
1. Re: Best Luxury Hotel

Perhaps consider Quintocanto Hotel & Spa.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Hotel_Review-g…

Vagabonda

Edited: 28 January 2018, 22:23
Bishops Stortford...
Level Contributor
208 posts
16 reviews
2. Re: Best Luxury Hotel

Thank you! We are booked into Grand Hotel Et des Palmes but I not sure if it’s ‘faded’ grandeur will be a bit too faded!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
1,15,185 posts
3. Re: Best Luxury Hotel

Grand Hotel Et des Palmes is a bit on the fringe of the Old Town.

Vagabonda

Bishops Stortford...
Level Contributor
208 posts
16 reviews
4. Re: Best Luxury Hotel

Ok thanks your suggestion looks perfect but slightly out of my price range as we would prefer to spend our money in the wonderful restaurants & bars in the city - are there any places to eat or drink that you think are not to be missed!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
1,15,185 posts
5. Re: Best Luxury Hotel

The Grand Hotel Et des Palmes is actually more expensive!

Vagabonda

palermo
Destination Expert
for Palermo
Level Contributor
2,809 posts
9 reviews
6. Re: Best Luxury Hotel

Hi. You could consider also Grand Hotel Piazza Borsa.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
1,15,185 posts
7. Re: Best Luxury Hotel

Hi biondo,

The bed bug warning is quite alarming.

Pity for this hotel.

Very damaging.

Vagabonda

Fulham
Level Contributor
353 posts
95 reviews
8. Re: Best Luxury Hotel

We are looking for the same advice.

Odd that TA is showing the Quintocanto as over double the price of everything else. I suppose the only thing is to ask.

The Piazza Borsa also has that hire car incident working against it. A shame as it is a good location and price according to TA.

Any views about the Ambasciatori ? V central but apparently some of the rooms are tiny.

Tony

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
1,15,185 posts
9. Re: Best Luxury Hotel

Hi TandCFulham,

Yes, you might send an email directly to Quintocanto or even check rates on a booking site.

There have been many discussions on these forums about the Hotel Ambasciatori, and also its fabulous roof terrace and restaurant.

For example:

https:/…72565523

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18789…

First decide location, and then consider the hotel.

Hotel Ambasciatori is located on Via Rome in the historic centre, and the area around the train station does get a bit quiet at night once shops close.

https:/…88405881

Vagabonda

Fulham
Level Contributor
353 posts
95 reviews
10. Re: Best Luxury Hotel

""Not the whole old town would be equally good to be based in, consider the area around Teatro Massimo, or between Teatro Massimo and Quattro Canti, or in Kalsa close to piazza San Francesco or piazza Marina.

Alternatively the area between Teatro Massimo and Teatro Politeama, although not strictly in the old town, is also good as a base, as it's just next to the old town and you can reach it walking.""

This what you said on another thread Vagabonda. Snag is that if I wanted to put a 'pin' on a Google map and work out the walking time from the best 20 hotels in TA I could not be sure where to put it. As I read it you were suggesting five areas if I count the number of times you used the word 'or'.

What I want is a hotel in the middle of the area with the best restaurants so we don't have too far to walk in the dark at night. In the daytime we'll look out the local markets and other scenic parts.

I got the price of the Quintocanto from Tripadvisor. Us punters can hardly use the system without the Expedia booking system pestering to know our date of arrival and departure. I know it is how TA makes its money but it has made the system far less usefull than when I started using it ten years ago. They said that a week would cost us £379 a night and almost all the other hotels are £150 and under !!

Tell me where to stick my pin in my Google map and I'll recalculate where the best hotels are in walking distance. Clearly I am working from the wrong pin as I had the Ambasciatori down as two minutes from the action and you are saying it is almost dead after dark.

Thanks for your help. We'll get there in the end!!

Tony

Reply to: Best Luxury Hotel
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Palermo