We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Catania or taormina, advise please

Drogheda, Ireland
5 posts
Catania or taormina, advise please

My wife and I are going to Italy next week fo 10days

we are starting our holiday in Napoli for a wedding.

11th of July 08 we will be spending a couple of days in Sicily, we have booked an hotel in Catania however our friends recently went to Sicily and have advised us to go to Taormina, because there is not much to do in Catania and that Taormina is a much better destination for a holiday!

could you please advise us on what to do Catania or Taormina? your advise is greatly appreciated..

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
23 reviews
1. Re: Catania or taormina, advise please

I'm planning a trip to Sicily next Spring and have debated myself as to which place I want to stay.

Catania and Taormina are very different types of places and probably appeal to people with different tastes. Catania is a large gritty city with lots of beautiful baroque architecture - it's unique in that supposedly many of the buildings are made with volcanic lava stone. I have no doubt there's plenty to do there for a short stay such as yours - you could always make a trip out to Mt. Etna, or a daytrip to Taormina for that matter.

Taormina is more of a resort town that caters heavily to tourists. It's supposed to be quite lovely, and overlooks the sea. There is an ancient Greek theater that is considered a "must see."

Hope this helps. Enjoy your trip.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
1,15,730 posts
2. Re: Catania or taormina, advise please

Baroque Catania is real, gritty, and colourful – a local destination, but consider that Sicily is very hot in July, and Catania gets especially hot!

Catania is a large and gritty city with the best public transportation connections in eastern Sicily. It has a charming historic centre - very Baroque. There are colourful markets, good shopping and authentic restaurants, and with the university, a large student population and an active nightlife, but it also has a high poverty rate and a high petty crime rate and the authorities are apathetic. Catania is definitely worth exploring. It can be easily visited from Taormina.

What to see and do in Catania:

frommers.com/destinations/…3216_indattr.html

frommers.com/destinations/…3216010029.html

Catania:

http://www.comune.ct.it/portale/

www.catania-sicilia.it/english/catania.htm

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/catania/

http://www.bestofsicily.com/catania.htm

www.sicilyguide.com/sights/cities/catania.htm

en.comuni-italiani.it/087/015/index.html

Catania Photos:

…trekearth.com/gallery/…page3.htm

Taormina is a tourist destination. Taormina is beautiful, has an enviable position over the Bay of Taormina, offers an excellent base for touring Etna, and has many amenities for weary travelers, but it is touristy! Simply consider the number of hotels and restaurants in this very small town!

Taormina is more a town to “feel” and explore. Except for the Teatro Greco and a few churches, Taormina is relatively short on sights. Mazzaro, Isola Bella, Giardini, Lido Spisone and Letojanni are all good beaches that are easy to reach from Taormina.

Taormina Attractions:

frommers.com/destinations/…0137010029.html

Taormina:

http://www.comune.taormina.me.it/cms/

http://www.gate2taormina.com/

www.messina-sicilia.it/english/taormina.htm

www.frommers.com/destinations/taormina/

http://www.bestofsicily.com/taormina.htm

sicilyguide.com/sights/cities/taormina.htm

en.comuni-italiani.it/083/097/index.html

Taormina Photos:

trekearth.com/gallery/…

Earlier threads addressing this very issue that may be helpful!

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187888-i735-k1040…

tripadvisor.com/…8835853

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187888-i735-k1640…

jjkdc is absolutely correct – Catania and Taormina appeal to people with different tastes, and it would be worth visiting one from the other.

Do you want to visit a city, or a resort?

Vagabonda

Drogheda, Ireland
5 posts
3. Re: Catania or taormina, advise please

Thank you both, for your quick response, your advise has been very helpfull we have chosen Taormina now and we are looking forward to our holiday,

we finally accepted that we wanted a resort?

Thank you both again...

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
1,15,730 posts
4. Re: Catania or taormina, advise please

Thanks for the update daithi80!

In that you questioned your decision in the first place, it does appear that Taormina is a better choice for you. Good that you know what you want – you will have a much better holiday with the right match for you!

Enjoy and hope to hear from you on your return.

Vagabonda

Drogheda, Ireland
5 posts
5. Re: Catania or taormina, advise please

Im Back!!!!

Taormina was great and by God where we glad when we saw Catania? I have never seen a city as dirty as Catania and then i saw Palermo!!!!

I couldnt believe that on one Island that they could manage to have the two dirtiest cities I have ever seen it was incredible. To think that an Island as lucky as Sicily that is so beautiful and the great weather it gets could be so unbelievably let down by its people, Im still shocked!!!!

we took a walk through Palermo down to the old port as we walked i counted 8 empty bins with nothing in them, however beside these 8 bins there was empty bottles,boxes,paper's towles etc. it seems that for the Sicilian people it takes a huge effort to take an extra step to put something in a BIN!!

the same effort it took me and my wife to get to the top of Mt Etna?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
1,15,730 posts
6. Re: Catania or taormina, advise please

ALREADY?!!

There was little doubt that Taormina was going to be a better match for you!

Did you enjoy Etna?

It is incredible! There are so many beautiful parts of Sicily with clean, gorgeous pristine areas – the countryside in the province of Ragusa or around Alcamo in the west - for as far as the eye can see beautiful fields with vineyard there.

It would always be best for you to avoid the larger cities – visit the Baroque towns, or Ortygia.

Thanks for your report – always a great help to future travelers.

Vagabonda

Drogheda, Ireland
5 posts
7. Re: Catania or taormina, advise please

I want to make something very clear! the people are amazing and the food is what you would expect! Beautiful and very reasonable!

Taormina: was everything i wished for Beautiful pebble beach's plenty of shops,restaurants and great scenery. Also plenty of old ruins! we stayed in a fantastic hotel, the (Victoria Hotel) on the main street (Corso Umberto) the hotel staff where wonderful and the room we had was always clean!

I would definitely go back to Taormina, ONLY!

Its such a pity but Catania and Palermo have great historic remains from the 12th century onwards and im sure even earlier, but the Rubbish is a real turn off. I hope i havent upset or insulted anyone its just my honest opinion on what i saw and think!

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
1,15,730 posts
8. Re: Catania or taormina, advise please

Not at all daithi80!! – it’s not only your honest opinion, but the truth! When I said, “It is incredible!” – I meant “incredible” the way it is in Catania and Palermo.

Taormina is the chicest resort in Taormina, but there are also other nice towns to visit – Ortygia, Ragusa Ibla, Modica

You are not alone with your opinions of Catania and Palermo – a pity too because the history is amazing, but these cities are certainly not for everyone and it’s important to know if they would be a match for you, (or not) and plan accordingly.

Sicilians and the food of Sicily is wonderful!

Grazie!

Vagabonda

Hagerstown, Maryland
Level Contributor
6,157 posts
23 reviews
9. Re: Catania or taormina, advise please

Goodness, was Catania really that bad??? I've actually made the opposite choice for my trip next Spring, as I don't think I'd like a resort town so much. Of course, I have plenty of time to change my mind about staying in Catania.

But then, plenty of people praise Sorrento and Positano while dismissing Naples as too dirty, etc. To me, Naples is about the most fascinating place on Earth. Whereas I stayed in Positano for three days a while back and was practically bored to tears by it....though eating a great meal while watching kids kick a ball around on the beach was a unique pleasure.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed your trip.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
1,15,730 posts
10. Re: Catania or taormina, advise please

It’s EXACTLY the same situation jjkdc!!!

You will find Catania and Palermo similar to Naples, and Taormina similar to Positano or Ravello.

Since it’s no secret you love Naples, you absolutely made the right choice for you!!

You would not be happy in Taormina – it’s not real enough for you.

Vagabonda

Get answers to your questions about Catania