We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4 nights in Sicily - Syracuse or Levanzo / luggage in car?

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
4 nights in Sicily - Syracuse or Levanzo / luggage in car?

Hi,

My husband and I will only be in Sicily for a weekend later in June, arriving in the afternoon in Catania by train, and fly from Catania Airport. I have planned and booked accommodation and car rental, but it can be changed. To experience as much as possible we have to stay in a different place every night and have to leave our luggage (only 2 cabin bags) in the trunk of the car during the day. I've read in the forum it is not safe, even luggage out of sight?

Planned Itinerary

Day 1: arrive and sleep in Catania historic centre.

Day 2: Pick-up the car at the airport / do a day-trip to south-east (Syracuse, Noto)/returning to Taormina area and sleep on a farm.

Day 3: Swimming/ Stand-up-paddling at Giardini Naxos and drive after lunch to Cefalú.

- Will it be okay to take the SS120 and A20/E90? (3 h 25 min (191 km). I know it will add about 1 hour to driving time, but is the scenery worth the road conditions and time?

Day 4: Last day and have to be back in Catania ( sleep in Misterbianco) to drop off the car the next morning before our 8:30 flight.

OR

We also would love to visit Levanzo. That means we have to miss out on South-east day trip to Syracuse and directly go to Cefalu and stay may be 2 nights there (can do swimming/SUP there), do a day-trip to Tapani and Levanzo and drive back to Catania via Toarmina.

Vagabonda , or anyone else please advise? I will have to change accommodation asap if I have to. Will be much appreciated :)

7 replies to this topic
Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
1,14,626 posts
1. Re: 4 nights in Sicily - Syracuse or Levanzo / luggage in car?

Welcome to Sicily WaterbabyCT!

A weekend....

It is not safe to leave luggage unattended in the car, even out of sight.

Reconsider....

Either of these itineraries is impossible.

At least to appreciate anything you would see or do.

Drive autostrade point to point.

Vagabonda

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
1,14,626 posts
2. Re: 4 nights in Sicily - Syracuse or Levanzo / luggage in car?

Surely not Levanzo!

Vagabonda

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
3. Re: 4 nights in Sicily - Syracuse or Levanzo / luggage in car?

Thank you Vagabonda. Why not Levanzo?

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
1,14,626 posts
4. Re: 4 nights in Sicily - Syracuse or Levanzo / luggage in car?

Prego WaterbabyCT,

You're really underestimating driving times, and time required to see these places.

And it's never recommended to ferry on the day of a flight.

Crossing can be suspended.

Vagabonda

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
5. Re: 4 nights in Sicily - Syracuse or Levanzo / luggage in car?

Thank you Vagabonda, I was hoping to get realistic advice. Appreciated.

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
1,14,626 posts
6. Re: 4 nights in Sicily - Syracuse or Levanzo / luggage in car?

Prego WaterbabyCT,

Changing hotels so frequently wastes time, and then unattended luggage becomes an issue.

You might book two nights in Taormina, and two nights in Siracusa.

Then day trip at will.

If you decide on a night in Catania, and with an early flight and car return, consider returning the car the night prior your departing flight, and ending with a final night in Catania to position for your departing flight.

You could really maximise your time by lessening your driving time, and then enjoy Taormina, Catania, Siracusa, swimming, history....

Vagabonda

Cape Town, South...
Level Contributor
6 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: 4 nights in Sicily - Syracuse or Levanzo / luggage in car?

Thank you Vagabonda, I've been following your good advise and limited the time to only the places you have mentioned. Will it be advisable to go to Syracuse the 1st night if we only arrive at 17:20...after a day on the train from Salerno to Catania, go to airport to pick-up car which can take some time, and then drive south? I presume sunset is quite late? If possible, we can have a full day in the south-east and leaving luggage at hotel. Then 2 nights Taormina and 1 last night near airport.

OR

If that will be too much traveling for 1 day, we can stay in Catania the 1st night, 1 night Syracuse and 2 nights Taormina. How long drive, with Monday morning traffic, is it from Taormina to airport? We have to drop-off car and depart 8:30?

Reply to: 4 nights in Sicily - Syracuse or Levanzo / luggage in car?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted