We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic Route from Olbia Airport

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Scenic Route from Olbia Airport

Good Afternoon Everyone, My husband and I flying in from NYC on August 15th. We're taking an overnight flight and will be landing in OLB at 11:40 AM. We have rented a car and plan on driving from the airport to our hotel in Alghero.

Does anyone have any recommended routes that might be more scenic? We'd love to maybe find a route along the coast, as long as it doesn't add more than an hour or two. We don't have a lot of time in Sardinia and would like to make the most of the drive over. We also would like to break up the ride, and stop at least once, after our long plane right. I will also be 3 months pregnant and I'm sure I will need to find a restroom along the way!

Thank you in advance!

Ilissa

Mentioned in this post
Alghero
Alghero
Sardinia, Italy
Sa Cheya Relais
Sa Cheya Relais
#1 of 48 hotels in Alghero
Hotel Alguer
Hotel Alguer
#2 of 48 hotels in Alghero
Hotel Angedras
Hotel Angedras
#3 of 48 hotels in Alghero
2 replies to this topic
Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
16,512 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Scenic Route from Olbia Airport

If you are going to be spending most of your time in Alghero (ie on the coast) I would use the drive from Olbia to explore inland on a route either via Tempio Pausania and Perfugas and down to the coast at Castelsardo and on to Porto Torres and down to Alghero (avoiding Sassari) or all the way inland via Berchidda. Oschiri, Ozieri, Thiesi, Ittiri and across to Alghero.

The fastest route is straight across skirting the south of Sassari and down to Alghero on mostly fast roads. The inland route described above you take a bit longer than the fastest route, and the coastal route a bit longer than that. Between 2.5 and 3.5 total driving time depending on the route.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 21:14
Mentioned in this post
Alghero
Alghero
Sardinia, Italy
Olbia
Olbia
Sardinia, Italy
Castelsardo
Castelsardo
Sardinia, Italy
Porto Torres
Porto Torres
Sardinia, Italy
Sassari
Sassari
Sardinia, Italy
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
21 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Scenic Route from Olbia Airport

Thank you for the advice! I think we will drive inland, as we have the next 2 full days to explore before we leave for Corsica the following day. We're planning on heading north to see Stintino on our first full day, and possibly taking the half day boat tour. The following day I was thinking we would head south toward Cagliari. When we get back from Corsica, we will have a day/night, where I am hoping to see La Maddalena. I'm upset we won't have more time, and I also wanted to see more inland destinations & Baunei but it doesn't seem possible.

Mentioned in this post
Corsica
Corsica
France
Stintino
Stintino
Sardinia, Italy
Cagliari
Cagliari
Sardinia, Italy
La Maddalena
La Maddalena