We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Parking Laws around Sardinia

Pottstown...
Level Contributor
32 posts
40 reviews
Parking Laws around Sardinia

My husband and I will be renting a car for a portion of our stay in Sardinia to make a few day trips. We will be based in Cala Gonone and plan to do a day trip to Bosa and a day trip to a couple of nearby villages perhaps and the Gorropu Gorge. I was hoping someone could shed a little insight on the rules of parking around Sardinia as this will be our first time traveling there and first time driving in a foreign country all together! I'm happy to park in designated parking lots even if it comes with a cost just for peace of mind but I don't know about villages like Dorgali etc and what the rules are. Often times I see cars lined on the sides of the road but I am unsure if that is allowed and worry if I follow the crowd I could be wrong. Any helpful tips are welcome and appreciated. Thanks!

1 reply
Travelling The World
Destination Expert
for Alghero, Melton Mowbray, Elora
Level Contributor
16,791 posts
72 reviews
1. Re: Parking Laws around Sardinia

White lines on the street or parking lot indicates that there is no charge for parking and you can stay as long as you want. The same is true for no lines unless there is a no parking sign adjacent. The no parking sign means just that, It is a red circle with a diagonal line across a blue background. The no parking sign means just that, It is a red circle with a diagonal line across a blue background.

Blue lines – strisce blu – either on the street or in a parking lot indicate parking spaces that either you must pay for according to the parking rules on the posted sign, or which are free but have a time limit. For the latter, your car should come with a disc on which you set the arrival time and put it on your dash, noting how long you have (displayed on a sign, along with the hours when the restrictions are in force). The sign will have a symbol of the disc if the parking is controlled in this way. If your car doesn't have a disc you can buy one at a tobacconist.

If it is paying, there will either be a meter or a person (in uniform) who will come and take your money. Pay the person or use the meter and put the ticket you will get on your dash.

Signs nearby will tell you when you have to pay (or use the disc) Two hammers indicate a workday, which in Italy is Monday through Saturday. So, you may see a sign with two hammers with 8.00-13.00 and 15.00-19.00 below them. This means on workdays, you must pay to park from 8.00 -13.00 and from 15.00-19.00. Other times are free.

A cross indicates Sunday and holidays and will again note the restrictions.

Reply to: Parking Laws around Sardinia
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted