We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Naples to Bari (via Caserta) by train 2.15pm arr 6.18pm

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
283 posts
180 reviews
Save Topic
Naples to Bari (via Caserta) by train 2.15pm arr 6.18pm

My son & his girl have Eurail 2nd class Youth passes and wish to take this train to Bari Central on the 1st of June. Is there a bus/taxi - (time,cost & availability?) from the station which will take them to the ferry port in time to get their tickets for the overnight ferry to Patras Greece.

Unfortunately they can't book tickets for the ferry online - as Superfast/Blue Ferries don't book customers for deck seats travelling using Eurail passes at a reduced rate.

Yes, they can take a bus from Naples Centre to Bari Central arriving at about 4pm however as they are travelling from Sorrento they had hoped to spend the morning at Herculaneum - so a whole day was not wasted on traveling.

They are concerned that if they arrive at the ferry port about 7pm (I am guessing) that the ferry tickets will all be sold.

Can they book the ferry a few days earlier by phone while in Sorrento? They can give Superfast/Blue ferries in Bari cc details to secure their seat. Anyone have a phone number?

I have read every blog and post on this subject without much luck. Can any TA member give us some good info.

Thanks for any feedback - much appreciated.

Marnie_g

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,020 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Naples to Bari (via Caserta) by train 2.15pm arr 6.18pm

Have you tried this online booking form?

https:/…booking.htm

Winchester...
Level Contributor
6,020 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Naples to Bari (via Caserta) by train 2.15pm arr 6.18pm

Ah, I see, you are trying to make reservations using the Eurail passes online...

Brindisi, Italy
Level Contributor
168 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Naples to Bari (via Caserta) by train 2.15pm arr 6.18pm

Please don't forget that trains and ferries are always running late. I worry about it when people plan trips so closely. There will be taxis to get to the port from the train station but it will cost you. The bus is hit or miss.

The goods news is June 1st is a Monday and a little early for crowds so I don't think getting a seat a of the ferry will be a problem.

Jeff

Perth Western...
Level Contributor
283 posts
180 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Naples to Bari (via Caserta) by train 2.15pm arr 6.18pm

Thanks for your input Jeff,

I believe there are at least 2 bus companies that do the Naples to Bari trip in the afternoon. Mazzotti & Marinobus - So, I don't think we are being too adventurous in our planning. We are sure of a seat on the ferry providing we arrive 2 hours before it departs. Both bus line sites are online so I will try to book seats online - however both sites are a little tricky to navigate timetables and tickets online as they are both in Italian only.

The train timetable is geared to supporting the local Bari economy! You must stay and spend!

Cheers & Thanks,

Marnie

PS From my online research anyone who wanted to start up a bus/coach shuttle bus business delivering tourists from the Amalfi coast to Bari could do very well! I have told my husband that we sould retire to Sorrento and he can drive the bus! He!He!

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Naples to Bari (via Caserta) by train 2.15pm arr 6.18pm

I have been searching for details of Naples to Bari (via Caserta) train timetables for mid September 2009 (12th to be exact) and am not having much luck. Would that be because the trains are very seasonal and don't run then, or not on a Saturday or what???? I have been searching the trenitalia website and others.

Can anyone help me out??

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Naples to Bari (via Caserta) by train 2.15pm arr 6.18pm

It's far too early to be looking for train schedules for September. Full timetables are only published a month or two in advance. They won't actually change much, though, so if you put in a date for, say, next week, you'll get a rough idea of when they'll be in September. I think Saturday services are usually pretty similar to weekday services, but Sunday services are different.

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
45,843 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Naples to Bari (via Caserta) by train 2.15pm arr 6.18pm

Surely Caserta is in the wrong direction ?

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Naples to Bari (via Caserta) by train 2.15pm arr 6.18pm

Thanks - this is helpful. I keep running into problems with services that seem to be seasonal and I thought that this might have been one of them! I'll look again a bit further down the track.

cheers

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
2,966 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Naples to Bari (via Caserta) by train 2.15pm arr 6.18pm

Which services have you found that are seasonal? I wasn't aware of any on the main train network I don't think...

And Sophie - to get to Bari from Naples by train you have to change at Caserta. That's the most straightforward route.

Canberra, Australia
Level Contributor
22 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Naples to Bari (via Caserta) by train 2.15pm arr 6.18pm

It wasn't a train service that I found was seasonal but flights to and from Dubrovnik (via SkyEurope). These end mid-Sepember which has meant that we have had to change our itinerary around and we are now planning to catch the ferry from Bari to Dubrovnik. I thought that maybe we would have to change things around again if we couldn't get to Bari on the day we wanted!

thanks for your help

Liz