We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what to do in Puglia in 3 days - flying into Bari

Baltimore...
Level Contributor
179 posts
20 reviews
what to do in Puglia in 3 days - flying into Bari

We will be in Sicily in July and decided to fly over to Puglia since we have never been there. We can only spare 3 nights and would love some suggestions as to where we should stay and what would be the best itinerary in a short time. We can rent a car - we don't like public transportation.

5 replies to this topic
Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
4,161 posts
672 reviews
1. Re: what to do in Puglia in 3 days - flying into Bari

Lot of places to see, villages to visit... depends on your interests and preferences.

A hint... first things come in my mind:

- a day in Bari, especially the old city centre

- a day in Castellana caves and Alberobello

- a day in Matera

You can find many tips in this forum and the "province of Bari" forum...

Baltimore...
Level Contributor
179 posts
20 reviews
2. Re: what to do in Puglia in 3 days - flying into Bari

Where would recommend staying to be centrally located

Turin, Italy
Level Contributor
4,161 posts
672 reviews
3. Re: what to do in Puglia in 3 days - flying into Bari

In Bari you can look for accomodation between central railway station and the old city centre or the seaside (university area or theatre area); or direclty in the old city centre.

In Alberobello you may choose a "Trullo" (traditional house) and do the same in Matera in B&B inspired to local traditional caves or original accomodations after refurbishments.

Use list of reviewed places on tripadvisor...

Just for example in Matera: https://www.tripadvisor.it/Hotel_Review-g187…

Akron, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,561 posts
494 reviews
4. Re: what to do in Puglia in 3 days - flying into Bari

Trulli houses near by should be seen as they might appeal to you as house or architectural design projects. Alberobelo is the location I believe south of Bari. Look for public transportation with trains that connect the five main cities from north to south along the sea shore. Taranto is a large city that might appeal to you with some importance to world war II events. Lecce and Trani have something worth seeing like a duomo and Palazzo Caccetta and a romanesque church for Ognissanti in Trani. A street by street map of Lecce is worth looking at because that city has much to occupy your time including Palazzo Vescovile and the Duomo. Otranto has the duomo also. Taranto has the Museo Archeologico Nazionale the Duomo, Citta Vecchia and several old churches. Bari has its cathedra and an old city castle from romanesque times - 12th century perhaps. Troia has its duomo and Lucera has its amphitheater and castle. Much more to see inland. As for Matera this is Basilicata - worth while seeing for houses perched on cliff sides. Matera and Basilicata deserve more than one day. Personally I believe that your proposed itinerary might be too ambitious and challenging for time.

Responses # 2 and #3 offer good ideas. If you limit or confine your visit to Puglia to a visit to Bari maybe you can squeeze in time for doing all of these other things. Do not allow a half day visit somewhere to become a whole day excursion. Time management will be important. Do you have an extra day or two? Hope this helps.

Colney Hatch...
Level Contributor
40 posts
5. Re: what to do in Puglia in 3 days - flying into Bari

Hi All,

Looking to go to Bari for my Mum's 60th Birthday, we are a group of 8 which included a 1 and 2 year old.

I would really appreciate suggestions on best places/areas to stay.

We are looking for:

- Somewhere which has a pool

- close to shops and restaurants

- location that is easy to get around.

Would you recommend staying in Bari or going to Puglia?

We will be travelling in early May - I have seen that temps are around 22c, so will be nice weather!

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!

Reply to: what to do in Puglia in 3 days - flying into Bari
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted