We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 day itinierary - Opinions please

Kent
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
5 day itinierary - Opinions please

Hi all,

I will be going to Venice in late July and wanted some opinions on my itinierary:

Day 1 (Saturday arrive at about 11am):

1. Get on the #1 Vaperrato bus from hotel for round trip to familiarise ourselves

2. General walk around

3. Waterboat to Murano

Day 2 (Sunday):

1. All day in Verona/Lake Garda

Day 3 (Monday):

1. Saint Marks Basilica/Square

2. St Marys of the Friars:

3. Torre dell'Orologio

4. Palazzo Ducale:

Day 4 (Tuesday):

1. Gondola Ride

2. Rialto Bridge walkabout

Day 5 (Wednesday)

1. Back to st marks square for general walking/lunch etc

2. Flight back about 2pm

What do you guys think? Have we crammed too much into any days? Any suggestions for anything else?

Thanks in advance!

London, UK
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
188 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 5 day itinierary - Opinions please

Hi David

Personally I would not rush to go to Murano on day 1 - I would go on Day 4 as I do not understand how a Bridge walkabout takes all day, so you have free time then? (as a gondola is only an hour).

Where are you staying? Apart from the Frari all your sights appear to be at St Marks Square - I would say that is crowd central, and you may prefer to have at least one walk in a different part of town?

UK
Destination Expert
for Venice
Level Contributor
46,443 posts
83 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 5 day itinierary - Opinions please

I would agree re Murano ,on a short visit, leave it out,and as much as i love Lake Garda thought this trip was to Venice, more than enough to see in 4 days,

Don't stick so much to a itinerary see the other side of Venice, get a guide book you will see you have left a lot out,

Tallahassee, Florida
Level Contributor
1,970 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: 5 day itinierary - Opinions please

With your day trips, you've only allowed yourself 2.5 days in Venice. There really is so much more to Venice than just the St. Mark's Square and Rialto areas. I would also recommend getting a guide book so you can see all the things Venice has that might interest you. The Dorsodoro and Canareggio districts are nice areas to walk in and far from the maddening crowds. If you don't venture outside the "tourist zone" you may well end up not enjoying your time in Venice because all you experienced were areas packed with people and it not meeting your expectations.

I'm not sure what your interests are but I would visit the Rialto Market early one morning, and then visit the Frari and Scuola San Rocco. A nice walk that I enjoy begins at the Salute Church, cutting down to the Zattare and cutting back up one of the calles to Campo San Barnaba and making your way to Campo San Margerita. Another area that is nice to walk around is the area near the Jewish Ghetto - actually to me anywhere in Venice is nice to walk around - you just have to make the effort to do it.

I love to walk around early in the morning and at night - especially St. Mark's Square and I love just riding the vaporetto up and down the Grand Canal - such a magnificent sight!

Edited: 30 June 2012, 22:55
Jakarta, Indonesia
Level Contributor
1,053 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 5 day itinierary - Opinions please

Switch Rialto Walkabout and Murano.

Venice, Italy
Destination Expert
for Venice, City of Venice
Level Contributor
7,637 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 5 day itinierary - Opinions please

There is not much point going top Rialto in the afternoon, as most stands close up around 12:30-1:00pm, particularly in hot weather. The markets, I find, are best enjoyed Tuesday-Saturday mornings either with the set-up (6:30-7:00am) or at full rhythm (9:00-11:00am).

I also wonder about the extra trip to Verona/Lago di Garda, as it seems a long day when there is already relatively little time.

6. Re: 5 day itinierary - Opinions please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 July 2013, 14:46