We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bolzano as a base (without a car)?

Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Bolzano as a base (without a car)?

Hi there

I am hoping someone can help me with this:

My wife and I dont drive. We are travelling with friends to Cortina d'ampezzo and staying there 2 nights. Our friends do drive, so we will be able to visit some hikes and lakes from there. Our friends leave Cortina heading to lake Como on the third morning. We have two more nights but have no access to a car. We are thinking that we get dropped off on the way to Bolzano and spend 2 nights there as it is well connected to Verona (from where we can fly back out to London). Also, As I really want to visit the Archeology museum it makes sense to stay on Bolzano.

Some of the questions in my mind were

- Does the above plan make sense and is worth it?

- we want to do some small hikes – is Bolzano a good base / location for that (witout a car)?

- Ideally would love to stay somewhere very scenic – people have recommended Santa Cristina Valgardena as an option but would that be too hard to get around for 2-3 days without a car and to get from there to Verona?

- Any tips on travelling to Verona from Bolzano/or other place?

- Any tips for things we should pre-book for Bolzano and/or Cortina? (Food or activity or gondola etc)

- Is it easy to get from Bolzano to neighboring villages / towns without a car – with only 2 days there (out of which we would need time to explore Bolzano and do the museum and the gondola, perhaps on the other day – what would be a town worth visiting by bus?)

4 replies to this topic
Santa Fe, New Mexico
Level Contributor
1 post
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bolzano as a base (without a car)?

I am very familiar with Bolzano as my husband and I visited there for 6 weeks and I have many Italian cousins who also live in the area. There is much to do in Bolzano and in my opinion, two days is not enough time to explore. It's very easy to get around without a car since it is basically a walking city. No cars are allowed in city central and you'll find everything within close walking distance. Bolzano is also well-connected by train to Verona, as well as to the city of Trent (an hour south) and to Merano (an hour north). Trent, Bolzano and Merano are connected by a local, regional train that is super easy to use. The train station is just a few blocks away from city central.

There are many hikes within easy reach of the city. Two cable cars run up the mountain and will deposit you in quaint little villages. From here just follow the hiking maps to climb higher for spectacular views (right out The Sound of Music!). Find the tourist information office that is located on Piazza Walter (city central). They speak English, have tons of maps and you can purchase a local two-day ticket that allows you to hop on and off the cable cars, train and buses. You can also rent bikes if you want to peddle around. Everyone owns a bicycle (bicicletta) in Bolzano and there are many paved bike paths within and outside of the city.

The archeology museum with their famous resident, Ozi - The Iceman, is a must. Go early, as there can be a line during tourist season. There are also several other local museums, churches (fantastic medieval murals have been preserved at some of them), plus check out Castle Runkelstein on the edge of town (easy to walk to), and the Messner Mountain Museum (take the local train and it drops you off close-by).

And there are many wonderful restaurants to sample. Since Bolzano is a mix of German-Italian cultures, you're sure to be surprised by the many offerings. My favorites are Lowengrube and Vogele. And don't forget to walk through the daily outdoor market at Piazza delle Erbe. Lots of treats to try here too!

This little city host many activities each weekend for their residents. You might find a Jazz festival, a rock band playing in the piazza or an oompah group strolling through the streets playing "Sweet Caroline" (no joke this actually happened to us!).

Good luck and I'm sure you're two days in Bolzano/Bozen will be filled with local culture. Buon viaggio!

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
9,438 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bolzano as a base (without a car)?

There are buses from Bolzano to Val Gardena/Ortisei

valgardena.it/en/…

Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bolzano as a base (without a car)?

Thank you so much Louise!

Barcelona, Spain
Destination Expert
for Barcelona, Berlin
Level Contributor
20,004 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bolzano as a base (without a car)?

2 nights in Cortina is only one full day so not a lot of time.

I have friends in Bozen/Bolzano (German-speaking), whom we have visited several times . They also have a house up on the Ritten plateau, accessible by one of the cable cars that Louise mentioned

ritten.com/en/…cablecar.html

ritten.com/en/…mobility.html

suedtirolerland.it/en/…

https:/…bolzano-bozen-and-environs

Val Gardena is lovely but you don't have time to include it.

Reply to: Bolzano as a base (without a car)?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Bolzano