We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Changing trains in Milano Centrale

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Changing trains in Milano Centrale

My daughter and I will be travelling to Venice from Monterosso via Milano Centrale. We have 25 minutes to change trains. Will that be enough time? Also are the arrivals and departures all on the same level? Or are arrivals on one level and departures on another?

Swiss Alps Bernina Express Rail Tour...
1,281 Reviews
from US$ 154.20*
Likely To Sell Out
Milan Sightseeing Tour with da...
3,863 Reviews
from US$ 82.50*
Milan to Lake Como, Bellagio or...
1,519 Reviews
from US$ 94.50*
11 replies to this topic
Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,072 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Changing trains in Milano Centrale

25 minutes is enough time to change trains at any station that I know of. Train stations are much more compact than airports, and there are none of the delays caused by security, waiting for luggage, or queuing to get out of one little door at front left.

Milano Centrale is all on one level, with a concourse running across the ends of the platforms. When you get to the concourse, look at the departure (partenze) screens to see the platform for your next train, and go to that platform.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
625 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Changing trains in Milano Centrale

25 minutes will be more than enough time. All platforms are on one level. Centrale is a terminus station. Once you arrive you will need to walk to the head of the platform and watch the large electronic display board for the departure time and platform number of your next train. The platforms are all clearly numbered, in sequence. Then just walk to your platform and coach when the train arrives. Easy. Google some videos of Milano Centrale so that you can see what it’s like, beforehand.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Changing trains in Milano Centrale

Thank you so much. Your information is extremely helpful. With that knowledge I can't see that we'll have any problems.

Once again, thank you

Marie

California
Level Contributor
7,589 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Changing trains in Milano Centrale

Most of us only wish we had 25 minutes! You'll see lot's of people running between trains with 5 minute connection times. This station is a very busy place.

Edited: 12 June 2018, 21:57
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
625 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Changing trains in Milano Centrale

Marie S.

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-departures…

This photo will help. It’s one of the large display boards at Milano Centrale. You can see the platforms and trains beyond. On the rhs, Partenze / Departures are listed, showing, l-r:

Type of Train; Train Number ( this will be on your ticket); Final Destination; Departure Time; Minutes late ( only 1 is late in this photo); A scrolling list of intermediate stops; Platform Number in last column.

Europe
Level Contributor
2,443 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Changing trains in Milano Centrale

You may also be interested to read a similar forum thread (also from fellow Monterosso train passangers) from just last year entitled "Milan central navigation help" which includes an interactive Google Streetview also of one of those departure screens / signboards inside Milano Centrale Station [ https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g18784… ] - you can click and drag around the Google Streetview to explore the location: click on "+" in the bottom right hand corner of the Streetview to zoom-in, "-" to zoom-out.

Adelaide, Australia
Level Contributor
7 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Changing trains in Milano Centrale

Thank you so much for this information. It will be a great help. After looking at the site that you mentioned, I'm feeling more confident about train travel in Italy. Now I have to learn how to navigate the Paris Metro system. My daughter and I will be staying in Paris for 7 days, and I have only ever traveled on the Metro once and at that time I was with a friend who was used to the system, so I just followed her. I find the whole Metro daunting. 301 Metro stations throughout Paris carrying up to 8 million passengers a day!! I come from sleepy little Adelaide in South Australia where our population is nowhere near 8 million, and we don't have a subway system. I would appreciate a few helpful hints if there is anyone out there who is familiar with the Paris Metro.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,072 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Changing trains in Milano Centrale

The Paris Metro has some of the best signage in the world. There are clear signs pointing the way to each line at interchanges, and the direction of travel is given by the name of the station at the end of the line.

Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
625 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Changing trains in Milano Centrale

The Paris Metro has numbered, colour coded lines. Very easy to use.

When you go to a station find 1. your starting station and 2. Your destination station on the metro map.

The last station at the end of the line between the two will be where the train is going.

The station signs will direct you to the corrrct platform for the destination station. The signs are also colour coded and have the line number.

Edited: 25 July 2018, 13:06
Cardiff, United...
Level Contributor
625 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Changing trains in Milano Centrale

I forgot to add that if you need to change trains on your journey it’s essentially the same process. I’m sure that the Metro will have an App that you could use too.

Reply to: Changing trains in Milano Centrale
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted