We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In stresa this weekend - need some info

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
53 reviews
In stresa this weekend - need some info

Hi,

We are taking the Friday evening train to stresa and will be there till Monday morning .

1. I was planning to cover 2 islands on Saturday . I want to see the white peacocks - do we have to buy tickets for inside for this ?

2. Do we take the ferry and if so from which location - not sure how my sunrise Swiss network will be there on roaming .

3. Any must try- bakeries , gelatos, average proved restaraunts ?

4. Any recommendations for what we can do on a Sunday ?is orta worth doing ? Where can we buy tickets for bus trips?

I am assuming all shops and restaraunts will be closed on a Sunday .

Sorry for posing so many questions and thanks for your time

17 replies to this topic
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
53 reviews
1. Re: In stresa this weekend - need some info

Correction -Average priced restaraunt

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,486 posts
188 reviews
2. Re: In stresa this weekend - need some info

Hi,

1. I was planning to cover 2 islands on Saturday . I want to see the white peacocks - do we have to buy tickets for inside for this ?

The white peacocks are on Isola Bella (in the palace grounds) and Isola Madre. You would need to pay on both islands to see them. There is a combined ticket you can get if you want to visit both.

2. Do we take the ferry and if so from which location - not sure how my sunrise Swiss network will be there on roaming .

Ferries go from both Stresa and neighbouring Carciano to the islands. There are the latest timetables in these links although ferries from Stresa are very regular:

www.navigazionelaghi.it/eng/m_orari.asp

4. Any recommendations for what we can do on a Sunday ?is orta worth doing ? Where can we buy tickets for bus trips?

Lake Orta (and Orta San Giulio) is well worth a visit! Absolutely gorgeous! The service is run by SAF Due Mila. Here's a link to the timetable which starts this weekend:

safduemila.com/stresa-omegna-orta-san-giulio…

Shops etc will be open on Sunday. Monday tends to be the day when some places are closed but not all.

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
53 reviews
3. Re: In stresa this weekend - need some info

Thank you so much Southampton . That was very helpful.

Is the boat cheaper than the ferry ?

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
53 reviews
4. Re: In stresa this weekend - need some info

Also adding one of my most important question - cheese 😊 I will be missing the Friday morning market in Stresa . Is there any local market sat or Sunday in Stresa-orta or nearby towns reachable by bus

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
92 reviews
5. Re: In stresa this weekend - need some info

There are some food shops in Stresa, but if you want the market experience, then you could go to Intra on Saturday. This is actually the largest market in the area, and the one the locals go to, so more choice. Best way to get there would be the ferry.

I don’t think you need the entire day to see both islands, if you got up early enough, you could take in both the market and the islands.

Gor thevislands, as well as the scheduled ferry, there’s also a motorboat service, more expensive, but useful if the ferry times don’t suit. These all leave from the same area.

Orta is well worth the day trip, luckily the bus service starts this week.

As to restaurants, I’ve always loved Osteria degli Amici. K2 ice cream parlour nearby is also very good.

Edited: 06 June 2018, 13:10
San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
53 reviews
6. Re: In stresa this weekend - need some info

Elibel_2017

Thank you so much for the recommendations . I tried to search google maps for boats to intra from Stresa and it only shows on Sunday .

Is there any particular boat or ferry Which goes from Stresa to intra in the morning and then from intra to the island ?

Southampton
Level Contributor
4,486 posts
188 reviews
7. Re: In stresa this weekend - need some info

Hi loverhodeisland,

The boat and the ferry are the same thing. On the lake you can either go by the ferries run by Navigazioni Laghi or there will be private charters that will tout for your business as you walk down the promenade in Stresa.

As for ferries to Intra, there's plenty. Here's the latest timetable:

navigazionelaghi.it/m_download/pe2018_Arona_…

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,480 posts
92 reviews
8. Re: In stresa this weekend - need some info

The full timetable can be a bit overwhelming and a bit of a chore to work out what all the symbols mean!

The timetables page on the website let you put in start and end location, along with the date and time, that gives a clearer picture.

www.navigazionelaghi.it/eng/m_orari.asp

In any case, there’s a regular ferry every 30 mins and the journey takes just under an hour (there are also fast ferries which take half the time, but are less frequent)

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
53 reviews
9. Re: In stresa this weekend - need some info

Thank you tongo79 and /Elibel_2017

The timetable was very helpful . Ya I was getting overwhelmed trying to understand the time and symbols with my cell phone screen 😊

San Francisco...
Level Contributor
1,145 posts
53 reviews
10. Re: In stresa this weekend - need some info

Hi

We did the intra market and absolutely loved it today. We had to use the ferry as the boat did not go to intra . Loved the white peacocks in isola Bella .

For tomorrow we want to go to orta . Can you please guide as to where the bus stop is located if we are standing facing the ferry ticket office .

Reply to: In stresa this weekend - need some info
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted