We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Malpensa Airport to Stresa

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
15 posts
1 review
Malpensa Airport to Stresa

Hi I am really confused about how to get from Malpensa Airport to Stresa. Any advice would be good, I have heard about Alibus? We have been told that if you catch a train you have to change in Gallarate but I can only find a train that stops in Busto Arsizio? Is there a good website for the trains?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Megan.

CA
Level Contributor
11,226 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: Malpensa Airport to Stresa

http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en

Malpensa Aeroporto to Stresa. The Alibus is quicker, but you need to study the schedule:

safduemila.com/alibus-2017-malpensa.lagomagg…

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,878 posts
2. Re: Malpensa Airport to Stresa

If going the whole way by train, the cheapest route is with one or two changes in Busto Arsizio. The Trenitalia website also shows options via the longer distance and more expensive route via Milan.

At some times of day it is faster to take a bus to Gallerate airpullman.com/static/upload/ora/orari-gall-… then a direct train from there, rather than trains all the way.

But when the Alibus is running, this is always the fastest and easiest route.

Dublin
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
92 reviews
3. Re: Malpensa Airport to Stresa

Agree the Alibus is your best option

Here & There
Destination Expert
for Sicily, Taormina
Level Contributor
1,14,626 posts
4. Re: Malpensa Airport to Stresa

For sure when you're arriving at September's end, take the direct Alibus service.

Vagabonda

Bristol
Level Contributor
175 posts
68 reviews
5. Re: Malpensa Airport to Stresa

The Alibus is much easier and far less stressful than changing trains. It is also a pleasant journey as it follows the lake. The downside is it is not very frequent. You must book in advance, and you pay the driver. You must remember the bus will not wait if your plane is late.

Like a previous poster I used to find the stop difficult to find. But if you follow the instructions on the ticket, you can't go wrong. So you need to exit the airport by the correct numbered exit. The stop will be opposite that exit.

In Terminal 1, the exit is one of the furthest away.

Barry, United...
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
6. Re: Malpensa Airport to Stresa

Hi, I'm going to be landing at T1 at 13:00 on 20th September and need to make my way to Stresa on the bus. There's a bus leaving at 13:40 (I believe) and another at 15:40, so does anyone have idea whether I'll have enough time to catch the 13:40 bus or should I play it safe and go for the later one ?

CA
Level Contributor
11,226 posts
3 reviews
7. Re: Malpensa Airport to Stresa

No chance 13:40.

Bristol
Level Contributor
175 posts
68 reviews
8. Re: Malpensa Airport to Stresa

If your plane is on time you will make the earlier bus. I have done it with that sort of margin loads of times. But if there is a slight delay obviously you will miss the bus

Bristol
Level Contributor
175 posts
68 reviews
9. Re: Malpensa Airport to Stresa

You could book the earlier bus and be prepared to go up by train.

I took the Alibus 4 times in August this year and it was never full. It might be possible to just turn up at the bus stop and hope the driver will take you if he has spaces. I have never done this and I have not been aware of passengers boarding without reservation. But why would the driver refuse to take you?

The restrictions on the booking page of the website, I.e you must book before 11am the previous day etc etc, are there because if there are no bookings the Alibus does not run.

Bristol
Level Contributor
175 posts
68 reviews
10. Re: Malpensa Airport to Stresa

PS - I see you are from Barry - are you flying Flybe Cardiff Malpensa? If so I did that journey and caught the 13.40 Alibus about 2 weeks ago.

Ring me on 07960137213 to discuss further.