We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

travel time between Varenna and Stresa

Philadelphia
Level Contributor
35 posts
14 reviews
travel time between Varenna and Stresa

Can a local please give me an estimate of how many hours it takes to drive from Varenna to Stresa mid week, mid-morning, in May? And how long would that same trip take if we travel by train? Also, what is the APPROX. one way train fare--about 15 Euros per person?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
98,751 posts
17 reviews
1. Re: travel time between Varenna and Stresa

Varenna to Stresa by car would take a bit under 2.5 hours, and would cost about €22.50 in fuel and tolls. See www.viamichelin.com

By train, it would take 2h45 to 4 hours and would cost €19.75 if part of the journey is on an InterCity train or €9.25 if the whole journey is by Regionale trains. See www.trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html

Italy
Level Contributor
39,684 posts
234 reviews
2. Re: travel time between Varenna and Stresa

By car it will take you at least 3 hours, the traffic on that route can be terrible. Sunday is the only day it will be quicker.

FF
Milan, Italy
Destination Expert
for Milan, Genoa, Valle d'Aosta
Level Contributor
13,117 posts
113 reviews
3. Re: travel time between Varenna and Stresa

If I were you (and if I had a car), I'd take the scenic route via Lake Lugano: ferry to Menaggio, Lugano, Locarno, and all the way along the W shore of Lake Maggiore. Google maps say it takes about 2.5 hours, but I would drive slowly and enjoy the views...

Incidentally, this route would be doable also by public transport, but I would recommend it only if you are travelling witt little/no luggage, in vierw of the many changes required.

Edited: 09 February 2011, 21:06
4. Re: travel time between Varenna and Stresa

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 February 2012, 10:48