We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best way to get from Milan to Bellagio, Italy?

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
1 post
4 reviews
Save Topic
Best way to get from Milan to Bellagio, Italy?

We are traveling to Bellagio in July. What's the best way to get there.

Train to Como or Varenna? Do I reserve tickets for train ahead of time?

Hydrofoil or steamer? Do I get tickets for either of these ahead?

We are staying in Bellagio two days using it as a base.

Any suggestions of where to go?

Thanks!

Mansfield U.K.
Level Contributor
1,480 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best way to get from Milan to Bellagio, Italy?

It would appear that you have looked at the map and Varenna looks close, but it is only served by a branch line from Milan and even if you went that way it's a steep road down to the harbour with luggage and no guarrantee of a boat at the right time.

To Como the trains are fast and frequent and from there there is a local bus service up the peninsular to Belaggio. If there happened to be a batelli at the right time o.k. but they tend to take their time up the lake. A hydrofoil would be good but they are not so frequent and you would be lucky if the timing was right.

I think in the end I would opt for a taxi.

No need to book tickets in advance on Italian trains just a few minutes in the queue or if you are clever enough use the automatic machines even better.

As for where to go ! Belaggio is such a delight that you won't want to go anywhere.

If you do want a day out you could cross to Menaggio and get the bus into Switzerland to Lugano. Undoubtedly a beautiful resort but whats your credit rating ??!!

Good luck,

Bob.

Auckland
Level Contributor
306 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best way to get from Milan to Bellagio, Italy?

Hi Maroland,

Just back from Bellagio a week ago. Had 5 glorious days there.

We caught the train from Milan to Como (took half an hour).

We didn't book ahead of time.

When then grabbed a taxi to the ferry terminal. Waited about half an hour then caught the fast boat to Bellagio. It took around 40 minutes to get there. Really beautiful scenic trip.

On our return we caught the 'slow' ferry at 10.20 it took almost 2 hours to get to Como. It's a really relaxing trip if you aren't in a hurry.

When you buy the ferry tickets in Como you just need to ask what pier the boat is leaving from, we didn't and assumed it was the one we bought the tickets from. We left from pier 4, just a couple of minutes walk away.

Enjoy your stay in Bellagio, I can't wait to go back!!

Liverpool
Level Contributor
32 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best way to get from Milan to Bellagio, Italy?

If you get the train from Milan's Stazione Nord railway station it terminates at a railway station in Como which is 50yds to the bus station and 100yds to the ferry terminal. This means you can get straight onto a hydrofoil for Bellagio without the hassle and cost of a taxi. Como's other railway station is fed by trains from Milan's Centrale railway ststion and this station is a distance from the ferry and bus terminals.

You don't need to buy tickets in advance for any form of transport as they are readily available on the day at the respective ticket offices.

I would certainly go on the ferries and discover the small towns in the vicinity of Bellagio for a day. These can be done easiest and cheapest by purchasing a ticket called 'Centro Di Lago' from the ferry terminal in Bellagio for about 10 euros. The ticket lasts all day but make sure you check which towns they allow you to visit.

4. Re: Best way to get from Milan to Bellagio, Italy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 31 August 2015, 12:42
NV3
NV3
5 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Best way to get from Milan to Bellagio, Italy?

I am from there. The fastest way is to use the train to get you to Como, and then the bus from Como to Bellagio.

The fastest ferry isn't that much faster than the bus but it costs a lot more. You can take the slower ferry for a more scenic route but it takes a lot longer as it stops in more towns.

You do not need to make any reservations. Do not go through Varenna.

Atlanta GA
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Best way to get from Milan to Bellagio, Italy?

We are arriving into Milan Malpensa airport mid-afternoon May 10th and want to transfer as directly and easily (with our luggage) to our hotel in Bellagio, Hotel Du Lac. I read another post on this site where someone suggested a different method of transfer from MXP to Bellagio (not through Como). They write....

"You will take the Malpensa express until Saronno. There you will go out, and take the train to Como.

In Como take the bus until Bellagio (Just in front of the Station!!!)"

Has anyone done this method of transfer and was it easiest? Thanks.

7. Re: Best way to get from Milan to Bellagio, Italy?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 September 2009, 18:49