We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is Genoa expensive?

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
294 posts
299 reviews
Is Genoa expensive?

Hi. We are visiting Genoa in a few weeks. Was wondering how expensive is eating and drinking. Would like to try some aperol spritz and my husband a lager and was wondering what is the average you would pay for that. Would like a bar with maybe outside seating as hoping the weather will be good for that. Thanks

7 replies to this topic
Level Contributor
302 posts
1 review
1. Re: Is Genoa expensive?

Genoa is affordable compare to US. Especially when the exchange rate is low. Its been hanging around the 1 euro to $1.17 range. I was in Italy in August and it dropped to $1.13 for a week. It is not the most popular vacation spot in my opinion thru no fault of its own. So its not very crowded with its eateries.

Spritz was about 3euro. Lager about 4 to 6euro. It also depends on the restaurant you are in. A meal for 50euro for two is on the high side. Again depend on where you go.

Rome, Italy
Level Contributor
131 posts
52 reviews
2. Re: Is Genoa expensive?

Usually Genoa is cheaper than Venice and Milan.

South East England...
Level Contributor
5,680 posts
4 reviews
3. Re: Is Genoa expensive?

universalav_dw, the OP is from the UK so the $ rate will be of no interest.

mesh

Cinque Terre, Italy
Destination Expert
for Cinque Terre, Monterosso al Mare, Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
1,944 posts
89 reviews
4. Re: Is Genoa expensive?

I think 50€ for two for dinner is in the low side - unless you are eating at like sa pesta or Ugo (which are both good just very cheap). A nice dinner for 2 with wine will cost 80-100€ at nicer restaurants (at least that is what I usually wind up spending).

Drinks can vary depending on where you are, a spritz can cost up to 7€, but generally Genova is less expensive than other cities in northern Italy as well as the nearby Ligurian towns and areas (like cinque terre and portofino)

Edited: 28 September 2018, 11:38
Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
294 posts
299 reviews
5. Re: Is Genoa expensive?

Thank you,

Are there any particular nice bars that are not too expensive we should look for?

Bristol, United...
Level Contributor
734 posts
52 reviews
6. Re: Is Genoa expensive?

We found Lager there quite expensive. Most bars have 2 sizes, a large being 400ml and a small 200ml.

Most places you will pay around €5 for a large, the cheapest I paid was €4 and in one bar I was charged as much as €6.50.

Also stick to the larger servings. Whilst the smaller ones may be half the size they usually aren’t half the price, typically if a large is €5 a small will be €3.50.

Perhaps try Kamun Lab for a beer, prices are reasonable and it was the nicest bar we visited on our recent trip there.

https://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Restaurant_Rev…

Plymouth, United...
Level Contributor
294 posts
299 reviews
7. Re: Is Genoa expensive?

Thank you will try that one.

Reply to: Is Genoa expensive?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted