We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

is it better to take the train or the bus from genoa airport

Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
is it better to take the train or the bus from genoa airport

We're arriving around 10:30 am on a Monday and need to get to the train station to take a train to Monterosso al Mare. Any advice or opinions welcome.

5 replies to this topic
CA
Level Contributor
11,205 posts
3 reviews
1. Re: is it better to take the train or the bus from genoa airport

Fixed taxi fare is €8/pp. There is a good train at 12:39 from the Brignole Station.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,871 posts
2. Re: is it better to take the train or the bus from genoa airport

The fixed taxi fare of €8 is per person for a minimum of three people, i.e. €24. It must be requested in advance, and reportedly some taxi drivers refuse to carry people at this fare.

There is no train at Genoa Airport. The easiest way is to take the Volabus https:/… to the end of the line at Genova Brignole train station. Trains from there are here http://www.trenitalia.com/tcom-en - if buying Regional tickets at the airport's Trenitalia ticket machine or in Brignole, remember to validate (time-stamp) before boarding your first train.

Edited: 07 August 2018, 04:42
Level Contributor
2 posts
8 reviews
3. Re: is it better to take the train or the bus from genoa airport

thank you so much! We were getting info from rome2rio website.

Cambridge, United...
Level Contributor
7 posts
551 reviews
4. Re: is it better to take the train or the bus from genoa airport

Transport out of the airport is poor, despite the location close to the city. There is an infrequent and relatively expensive bus called volabus, or much cheaper bus i24 to the train station. You can get a combined ticket for the bus and train from the machine in arrivals. About 1.60E. Do not buy a 1.50 ticket as that does not cover train and bus. Buses to the train station run every 40 mins but only during business hours. So check the times on the bus stop outside the terminal. If it is too long to wait, take the volabus all the way into the city. About 30 minutes journey. Otherwise take a chance with the taxis.

Edited: 09 August 2018, 21:02
Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,871 posts
5. Re: is it better to take the train or the bus from genoa airport

While it is slightly cheaper to take the i24 bus to Genova Sestri Ponente Aeroporto train station https:/… it is easier, more comfortable and usually faster to take the €6 Volabus to Genova Brignole as advised earlier. Note that the combined €1.60 bus and train ticket is only for the i24 plus Regional trains within the Genoa comune limits. It most certainly does not take you to Monterosso. It only takes you as far as Genova Nervi.

There are many more direct trains from Genova Brignole to Monterosso than there are from Genova Sestri Ponente Aeroporto (21 a day as opposed to 5). And the Volabus is a comfortable coach with luggage storage underneath, while the i24 is a local minibus with comparatively limited luggage storage.

Reply to: is it better to take the train or the bus from genoa airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted