We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Florence train to La Spezia

Sydney
Level Contributor
34 posts
28 reviews
Florence train to La Spezia

I am travelling from Florence to La Spezia by train in March., Which station do I go to in Florence to catch the train. I want to book a hotel near the station as I know the train leaves early.

Overture

Saint Paul
Level Contributor
2,223 posts
121 reviews
1. Re: Florence train to La Spezia

The local DE's will advise you, but I'd assume you want to take the train from SMN (Santa Maria Novella) to La Spezia.

There are regularly scheduled trains you can take from Florence to La Spezia.

Suggest checking on Trenitalia.com

tptr

United States
Level Contributor
10,075 posts
15 reviews
2. Re: Florence train to La Spezia

The train schedule and fares can be found at: www.ferroviedellostato.it/homepage_en.html

Use a date within the next 7 days if you are looking at taking regional trains (which may be slower, cheaper, but do not require a change in Pisa). Trains do leave from the main train station SMN and start as early as 4:30 am.

TAB

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,562 posts
17 reviews
3. Re: Florence train to La Spezia

However, trains run throughout the day, so there is no need for an early start unless you want one.

Sydney
Level Contributor
34 posts
28 reviews
4. Re: Florence train to La Spezia

Thanks for your reply Is SMN the main train station in Florence?

What are local DEs

When I looked at the trenitalia website I could only see two morning trains and the second being 7am departure.

Overture

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,562 posts
17 reviews
5. Re: Florence train to La Spezia

SMN stands for Santa Maria Novella, which is the main train station.

If the Trenitalia site shows trains with NA in the price column, this means only that the price is not yet shown on the site. The trains will run. Prices for local (Regionale) trains are never shown more than 7 days ahead, although they do not change.

"DE" stands for "Destination Expert": see the list at right.

Note: If you are actually heading for a village in the Cinque Terre, do not look on Trenitalia for trains to La Spezia. Look for trains to the Cinque Terre village that is your destination. For some journeys, you should change at Sarzana rather than La Spezia.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,856 posts
6. Re: Florence train to La Spezia

On a weekday there are currently seven connections from Florence to Monterosso shown on http://trenitalia.it/homepage_en.html between 0535 and 11.28 inclusive. It will be a similar figure for other villages.

I suspect that when using the site you have not entered a time into the appropriate box. If you do not do this, the trains shown will start at the the time you are consulting the site. Click 'next' to move around the remaining 24 hours.

Edited: 08 January 2011, 16:26
Chesterton, Indiana
Level Contributor
21 posts
9 reviews
7. Re: Florence train to La Spezia

just stating to investigate the possibility of doing a day trip from Florence area to Cinque Terre ----- is it possible or do we need more time?

La Spezia, Italy
Destination Expert
for La Spezia, Porto Venere, Lerici
Level Contributor
3,779 posts
42 reviews
8. Re: Florence train to La Spezia

its possible our friends who were staying in Monterosso did it in reverse and day tripped to Florence

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Train Travel
Level Contributor
97,562 posts
17 reviews
9. Re: Florence train to La Spezia

jelwe

Please read the posts above yours for information on how to get train times and costs.

Imperia, Italy
Destination Expert
for Italian Riviera
Level Contributor
32,856 posts
10. Re: Florence train to La Spezia

For day-trips from Florence to the Cinque Terre, see tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187895-c140988/Flore… and tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g187895-i68-k36033…

Get answers to your questions about Monterosso al Mare